Words that don't have translations in English

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
In Yorkshire, you often hear (for example) "I lent a book" to mean "I borrowed a book".
Some Americans do as well.

to get back at subject, we have the word mierenneuker, which would literally translate to antfucker. However it really means an insult to people who abide by the rules too much (like a government controller).

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Some Americans do as well.

to get back at subject, we have the word mierenneuker, which would literally translate to antfucker. However it really means an insult to people who abide by the rules too much (like a government controller).
The English equivalent is probably "jobsworth".

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
English jobsworth - In portuguese jobsworth There is no English translation.

English Jobs worth - in portuguese - Empregos vale a pena » Jobs it's worth it

Jobsworth or Jobs worth

my question, is that the word together and the word separate has the same meaning in the English language

Only a translation into Portuguese with the word separated » Jobs worth in portuguese is Empregos vale a pena.

Sep 2012
Taiwan
The Japanese term tsundoku is a personal favourite of mine: to buy books and let them pile up without ever reading them. A rather guilty habit of my own!

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The Japanese term tsundoku is a personal favourite of mine: to buy books and let them pile up without ever reading them. A rather guilty habit of my own!
And of course, tsundere, a girl who starts off cold and maybe even violent and turns into a warmer person.

:D

Similar History Discussions