World Population History

Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
It's difficult to say. Population that dates back far are usually extremely flimsy and guesswork at best. It's not to say it's incorrect but I find the information provided there difficult to verify since it provides no sources (except one, which has no date either for that manner), no specific numbers, the timeframe is very large and it places it as a whole on modern-day nation's geographic areas it seems.

I would err on the side of caution and say "doubtous" until proven otherwise.

Feb 2019
Thrace
It's difficult to say. Population that dates back far are usually extremely flimsy and guesswork at best. It's not to say it's incorrect but I find the information provided there difficult to verify since it provides no sources (except one, which has no date either for that manner), no specific numbers, the timeframe is very large and it places it as a whole on modern-day nation's geographic areas it seems.

I would err on the side of caution and say "doubtous" until proven otherwise.
Mexico having World's largest population for 5000 years seems the most interesting. I had no idea about that honestly.

Mar 2019
Victoria, Australia
From a quick look around. the HYDE project seems to be a "universal" resource. I find such resources to be doubtous at best. they say:

HYDE presents (gridded) time series of population and land use for the last 12,000 years ! It also presents various other indicators such as GDP, value added, livestock, agricultural areas and yields, private consumption, greenhouse gas emissions and industrial production data, but only for the last century. "
Those numbers I would be extremely interesting in knowing how they found or calculated them. Either way, it would be a guess at best. In my opinion, probably a mathematical simulation and prediction based on given factors.

Calculating even any one of those issues for a single country is incredibly difficult, tedious and problematic since there are very little census, recorded GDP data or even livestock numbers for almost any of those countries in 1500AD, let alone in 9000 BC.

It's an interesting video and an interesting guesswork. But I would personally rate it just as that: guesswork. nothing more. nothing less. Interesting for sure but I would never use something like HYDE in an academic research paper myself.

fascinating

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
It's rather beautifully done I must say, but it is pretending that it knows the populations of areas, even relatively small areas, like Syria, for example, across thousands of years. A good visualisation, but cannot be relied on to be accurate.

Reactions: Futurist
Feb 2019
Thrace
It's a bit weird how India was allegedly 4 times more populous than China in 300 AD and 800 AD. That's a huge stretch!

Reactions: Futurist