Worst Armchair Generals

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
His speeches when he wasnt drunk out of his mind and his impersonator had to do the speech lol.
When was this?

He had to make many of his speeches on the floor of the House of Common he would simply not be able to operate if drunk out of his mind.

Just repeating the propaganda of Herr Goebbels?

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
His official biography
Where in his official biography does it say that an actor made those speeches (which he originally made on the floor of the house of commons were his political enemies would have made great play of his supposed drunkenness) because Churchill was drunk and incapable?

Its been known for a long time that an actor may have made some of them on radio (The House of Commons wasn't recorded at the time) to broadcast to the public because he was busy.

Last edited:
Jun 2013
Connecticut
Good, old Gen. George B. McClellan.

Expert in Mahan and Jomini; graduated 2nd at West Point (19 yrs old); observer in the Crimean War; wrote bayonet and cavalry manuals. After Bull Run he created the finest US army ever seen.
Unfortunately nothing much happened with this army out in the field.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Good, old Gen. George B. McClellan.

Expert in Mahan and Jomini; graduated 2nd at West Point (19 yrs old); observer in the Crimean War; wrote bayonet and cavalry manuals. After Bull Run he created the finest US army ever seen.
Unfortunately nothing much happened with this army out in the field.
The Battle of Antietam was nothing?

He could have done more, and was not a good general. But definitely not an armchair general.

Reactions: Talbot Vilna

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
That is what he's talking about.
No that is that an actor made his broadcasts on places such as the BBC because he was too busy (he had approval of the actor and the script) with the many tasks that required his attention.

The claim was however

His speeches when he wasnt drunk out of his mind and his impersonator had to do the speech lol.
I however am not aware of any occasion when Churchill was 'drunk out of his mind' other than in Nazi propaganda.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
No that is that an actor made his broadcasts on places such as the BBC because he was too busy (he had approval of the actor and the script) with the many tasks that required his attention.
Name any other politicians in history who did that. Who used a double, without telling anyone, to get on radio or TV to give major speeches to their entire constituency during major national crisis. And what does "too busy" even mean? He was the Prime Minister, those speeches were literally a major part of his job, if not the most important considering the times they occurred.

You know what wasn't his job? Trying to play arm chair general and constantly dictating asinine strategy and operations, against the will of his general staff and theater commanders, when he was a rank amateur who had already demonstrated in WW1 that he had no idea what he was doing. Even Stalin realized he should listen to his generals, and yet the only reason Churchill stopped being a dangerous as the Allied "good idea fairy" was the US and USSR stopped listening to him around 1944. Thankfully.

Reactions: macon and Gvelion

Kevinmeath

Ad Honoris
May 2011
Navan, Ireland
Name any other politicians in history who did that. Who used a double, without telling anyone, to get on radio or TV to give major speeches to their entire constituency during major national crisis. And what does "too busy" even mean? He was the Prime Minister, those speeches were literally a major part of his job, if not the most important considering the times they occurred..

How on earth is this relevant to anything I said?

You know what wasn't his job? Trying to play arm chair general and constantly dictating asinine strategy and operations, against the will of his general staff and theater commanders, when he was a rank amateur who had already demonstrated in WW1 that he had no idea what he was doing. Even Stalin realized he should listen to his generals, and yet the only reason Churchill stopped being a dangerous as the Allied "good idea fairy" was the US and USSR stopped listening to him around 1944. Thankfully.
Enjoy that rant did we? perhaps try reading some history.

But I never mentioned any of that.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
How on earth is this relevant to anything I said?
First you claimed the stand in didn't happen. Then when you checked, you changed your mind. Then you claimed it was explained since the Prime Minister had more important things to do. I'm saying that is flat out nonsense. Public addresses are one of the biggest roles of a PM.

Enjoy that rant did we? perhaps try reading some history.
I did read history. Which is why I can say with all honesty, that while an absolutely outstanding politician (when he bothered to give public addresses himself and not delegate it to someone else), Winston Churchill was an utter disaster in military matters. When I say this know its not hyperbole. I hate Hitler, but I rate him higher than Churchill as understanding military art/science. Stalin too, FDR too as they largely listened to their generals (at least Stalin did after '42).