Worst Armchair Generals

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
I disagree,. Hitler often hung back but when he made his facile, unnaunced flat decisons, that was it. He certinaly did not welcome peopel standing up to him. He liked yes men.

Insomnia does not mean hard working. Hitler focused on some small details and had a good memeory form all accounts. But it was just what attracted him. He did not do teh work to across all of teh detail that he needed to be to provide effective leadership. He did what he wanted rather than what he needed.

I did not say that. The overlapping responsibiities and confused strcutures, that meant the offical chain of command often did not work. This style of command enhances the leaders's status as he is ocnatntly needed to arbitrate among competing interests. Napoleon had a simialr tendecy. Hitler could also make snap decison to total reverse an orde of prioirties. The promotion of yes men or nazi poltical appiontees, and the "leadership prinicpal' all contriubuted to bad decison making process.,
Can you use spell check before you post? This is getting ridiculous.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Can you use spell check before you post? This is getting ridiculous.
When they updated the forum the font /colours in either scheme are no so readible to my eyesight. I often can't see the little red lines the indicate my spelling problems.(I am also colour blind so the colour don't stand out much)

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
First, they weren't nobodies. You had Beck, who was former head of the General Staff. Fromm, head of the Replacement Army (which are all German army personnel not in combat theaters). Numerous chiefs of staff to senior commanders. Olbricht was Chief of the General Army Office of the OKH and Chief of the Armed Forces Reserve Office of the OKW. Numerous other generals who had held army commands, etc.
Did not say there were no bodies. But not people in the decision making ciricle at Hitler's headquarters. People on the outer. Some senoir generals but not influential in running the war.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Did not say there were no bodies. But not people in the decision making ciricle at Hitler's headquarters. People on the outer. Some senoir generals but not influential in running the war.
Did you skip the part where major staff officers and commanders of OKW and OKH were involved? Also SPELL CHECK

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
When they updated the forum the font /colours in either scheme are no so readible to my eyesight. I often can't see the little red lines the indicate my spelling problems.(I am also colour blind so the colour don't stand out much)
You can change it back to blue.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Did you skip the part where major staff officers and commanders of OKW and OKH were involved? Also SPELL CHECK
Why were they relying on a major to get access to the fuehrer headquarters then?

They were not high in Hitler's favour making big decisions about the running of the war.

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Why were they relying on a major to get access to the fuehrer headquarters then?

They were not high in Hitler's favour making big decisions about the running of the war.
The lieutenant colonel (not major) was the trigger puller, so to speak. The button man. His job was to actually kill Hitler, but that didn't make him the ringleader.

He was chosen because he had the very closest access to Hitler's person because he always carried a briefcase filled with plans, as a he was a lower ranking staff officer and lower ranking staff officers carry briefcases because GENERALS DO NOT CARRY BRIEFCASES. Also, that lowly lieutenant colonel was a war hero respected by Hitler, who liked to surround his close proximity with war heroes.

The ONLY reason it didn't work was July 20 was hot and instead of having the meeting inside an underground bunker they normally held it in (which the explosive would have killed everyone inside easily), it was held in a large study on the ground floor surrounded by windows that allowed the blast to escape. Also, that darn thick oak table. And because with Stauffenberg's crippled hand he couldn't fuse the second explosive. But if they'd done it in the basement, even one bomb would have worked.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
The lieutenant colonel (not major) was the trigger puller, so to speak. The button man. His job was to actually kill Hitler, but that didn't make him the ringleader.

He was chosen because he had the very closest access to Hitler's person because he always carried a briefcase filled with plans, as a he was a lower ranking staff officer and lower ranking staff officers carry briefcases because GENERALS DO NOT CARRY BRIEFCASES. Also, that lowly lieutenant colonel was a war hero respected by Hitler, who liked to surround his close proximity with war heroes.
Whch General that was presnet was part of the plot?

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Whch General that was presnet was part of the plot?
None, they all found reasons not to be there. Something about a bomb going off and the need to immediately take charge of the Replacement Army to lead a coup against the SS and Nazis leadership, who they were going to blame for the assassination. Or they were playing golf. It was one of them.

Just because they weren't in that specific meeting doesn't mean they weren't important. The most important members of the Reich, minus Hitler, weren't there, nor any important commanders, etc. It was just one of many many staff meetings that Hitler held constantly, because he held meetings constantly, because he wasn't lazy.