Worst Military Ever? Austria-Hungary?

Oct 2016
Merryland
so what nation had a horrible military / tradition?
I'm thinking Austria-Hungary / Hapsburgs. Lost WWI, lost to the Prussians, almost always lost to Napoleon.

I'm not an expert in this field so feedback welcome.

was their military that bad?

is there another major nation/state with a worse record?

having said that, props to Archduke Charles, first general to defeat Napoleon (Battle of Aspern-Essling). Certainly the greatest military leader of his Empire

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
Austria beat everybody: Italians, French, Prussians, Russians, Ottomans,
You should read the life of Prinz Eugen or battles as Kolin or Hochkirch or Prague...

Apr 2015
Texas
A few hours ago I watched a YouTube documentary where the question was asked: is France REALLY a military loser?

DISCLAIMER: I'm the first to admit that YouTube has some interesting documentaries, but should not be your primary source of historical information.

Anyway back on topic:
The author makes the correct assertion that all nations have their ups and downs.
But he does compare a 500 year streak of military wins or loses and Austria does come behind many European nations.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
A few hours ago I watched a YouTube documentary where the question was asked: is France REALLY a military loser?

DISCLAIMER: I'm the first to admit that YouTube has some interesting documentaries, but should not be your primary source of historical information.

Anyway back on topic:
The author makes the correct assertion that all nations have their ups and downs.
But he does compare a 500 year streak of military wins or loses and Austria does come behind many European nations.
Mr Scaeva is right.

Austria, as every country, had ups and downs. And of course It is not the worst military history as thread says.
In the last 500 years, Austria is not a loser...and some of the best generals in the history are Austrians, as Prinz Eugen, Montecuccoli, Wallenstein etc etc.. Austria won battles as Blenheim or Essling..
Why to say it was a "Worst" military ever? Because Austria lost against Napoleon...everybody (from Britain to Russia and from Spain to Prussia lost against French Revolutionary and Napoleon)... In 1859 they lost against France-Sardinia... and in 1866 against Prussia.. and what? France-Prussia-Russia had likely the best armies in the world in those days...everybody would have lost a campaign against Prussian in Central Europe in 1866 or against France-Sardinia in 1859...in Lombardy.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
I'm Italian ...

The Italians were pretty cringeworthy in both world wars.
I was just thinking to us!

It's a historical reality that Italians have never been decisive [to say the least!] in war, since the unification of the Kingdom.

I find it difficult to think to a country less reliable and less effective than Italy in war.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I was just thinking to us!

It's a historical reality that Italians have never been decisive [to say the least!] in war, since the unification of the Kingdom.

I find it difficult to think to a country less reliable and less effective than Italy in war.
I am afraid you are right....

Mar 2016
Australia
I have to agree with the other posters that say Italy. I mean, their performance in the First World War left a lot to be desired, and their performance in the Second World War was just... embarrassing.