Worst UK PM ever

Status
Closed

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Who is the worst UK PM ever? As May is definitely going, is she really the worst?

Chamberlain, Heath, Major, and Brown, are often seen as bad.

But they had difficult environments to tackle.

Brown, Heath, and Major to some extent, had bad economic issues.

Chamberlain wanted to avoid another war, and did what he could halt this. Even Hitler was fearful in some regard, and was relieved that France didn't stop him from re-taking the Rhineland.

May though hasn't had a bad economy, and called an election which was unnecessary.

She must rank amongst the worst UK PMs in history, given the range of errors she made.

Reactions: Futurist
Apr 2012
The Netherlands
I'd rank Cameron as worse. May failed and wasn't always competent but she inherited a poisoned chalice of a job that everyone would have failed at. Being tasked with delivering Brexit when the country couldn't decide on what type of Brexit while your party is a useless burden more interested in political games and ousting you than doing their jobs, and having to face 20+ nations far more united than your own would cause everyone to fail.

And some mistakes were only mistakes in hindsight. There was some sense in calling new elections. Facing the most difficult task since WW2 requires a strong mandate, and Corbyn and Labor not just rolling over and dying was genuinely surprising.

Cameron meanwhile failed because of a mess entirely of his own making, one he had no real cause to make. Its commonly assumed Cameron called a referendum due to a fear of ukip. But the last election Cameron won saw ukip sabotaged by the electoral system which translated ukip's considerable votes into barely any seats.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Cameron meanwhile failed because of a mess entirely of his own making, one he had no real cause to make. Its commonly assumed Cameron called a referendum due to a fear of ukip. But the last election Cameron won saw ukip sabotaged by the electoral system which translated ukip's considerable votes into barely any seats.
What mistake was that? Calling a referendum that a majority (albeit a slim majority) of people voted for an outcome that perhaps wasn't favourable to the Europhiles was a mistake?

Apr 2012
The Netherlands
What mistake was that? Calling a referendum that a majority (albeit a slim majority) of people voted for an outcome that perhaps wasn't favourable to the Europhiles was a mistake?
For Cameron its a mistake because its what cost him his job. Cameron thought he was going to win and staked his career on it. Considering he lost and resigned that's a mistake when viewing it from his career perspective. And you could definitely argue that not preparing for a leave victory at all was a mistake.

And should Brexit end up as a costly mistake its going to be remembered as a mistake, and not just because ''Europhiles'' don't like it.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
I must admit I was in favour of a referendum because I thought we would vote to stay and that would be the end of it. More fool me. However, what Cameron is guilty of surely is totally failing to prepare for the possibility of Brexit.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
I must admit I was in favour of a referendum because I thought we would vote to stay and that would be the end of it. More fool me. However, what Cameron is guilty of surely is totally failing to prepare for the possibility of Brexit.
As have been proven several times lately, if you hold a referendum, you must be prepared to lose. But that's not a good reason not to hold them.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The mistake was that he didn’t expected the outcome, so it was a huge political error for him. The mistake was that he, and his government, weren’t prepared for that. There was not Plan or even an idea of a Plan, or an idea to make a plan. He didn’t know what to do. Since he was a “Europhile”, the next smart thing to do was to call elections, so the next government could deal with it, with all support, but he just run away, leaving the bad business for the others to clean up his mess. And all of EU and UK are still waiting for his bad Soap Opera. Meanwhile many EU electors weren’t allowed to vote in the current elections.

Reactions: Futurist
Status
Closed