Worst UK PM ever

Status
Closed

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I'm glad that you qualified your statement with the word 'generally', as we in the North West now have this political heavyweight and all-round charmer representing us in Brussels:-
Claire Fox - Wikipedia

She was the first-named candidate on the Brexit slate meaning that if they'd only got one MEP for the region, it would have been her. Personally, I wouldn't pay her in washers. If she is representative of the quality of Brexit party candidates generally (and I accept she might not be), then God help us all.
I only know her from listening to her speaking on the radio, the moral maze, and I didn't find her so very awful, in fact I rather liked her as an independent-minded person who doesn't have predictable views. Here in the West Midlands we have no less than three Brexit Party MEPs, one who was in the City, one who is a former of 'Loaded' amagazine (which doesn't sound altogether my cup of tea), and who is a solicitor and estate agent (which I suppose makes him a person of dubious character).

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
A political thread can’t “go Politic” since already is. The Brexit and the EU election dominate this thread since post 1, that was 45 pages ago.

And now with May out of the picture in the Conservative Party and after Trump endorsed Boris Johnson as a new leader and suggests Nigel Farage as UK negotiator with EU, probably the things will go smother.
It's about politics, current affairs tends to be political, but it hasn't in fact been discussed in an unduly partisan fashion. All the fuss that has been made about Trump's supposed 'endorsement' of Johnson amuses me no end, he was asked about him and merely replied that he likes him very much and would do an excellent job; when asked about something he just says what he thinks! Not exactly like Obama coming over here and intervening for one side for the Brexit referendum. Trump is now landing from a huge helicopter in front of Buckingham Palace, maybe he'll endorse the Quuen.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
The terms won't be uncertain at all. They'll know what the terms are, until a deal is agreed. In the meantime, they can certainly be looking for other markets. China has a large demand for western dairy products, for example.

And the other question being, if they wanted a deal that badly, why didn't the independence parties vote for May's deal?
Oh ok, the worries expressed by business are misplaced then. I hope you’re right. I’ve no idea why you’ve brought the independence parties into it by the way.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
It's about politics, current affairs tends to be political, but it hasn't in fact been discussed in an unduly partisan fashion.
There I don’t fully agree with you. But we are in a forum. So nothing new.

Trump is now landing from a huge helicopter in front of Buckingham Palace, maybe he'll endorse the Quuen.
I hope not. So does “nasty” Meghan as I heard…

May 2011
Morayshire, Scotland
If the EU and Ireland don't want a border, then they must renegotiate. Simple as that. The deal, as it stands, will not pass.

{quote]As for the Scots, if they want to leave based on the lack of a two year transition deal, more fool them. Because if they leave, they will be both outside the EU and the UK. They would be far wiser to see the eventual trade deal and how well the UK prospers outside the EU.
It would be up to the Scots. Twice we have voted to Remain. What makes you right and us wrong? Certainly, we would be outside for a while but where there's a will there's a way. The EU fast tracked the DDR into the fold. Why would they not be as flexible with Scotland? Read this
"There is considerable political goodwill to Scotland in EU capitals since it is facing Brexit despite having voted to remain. That political goodwill, on current trends, is likely to feed into an effort to fast-track Scotland’s EU membership in the event of a successful independence vote" An Independent Scotland and the EU: What Route to Membership? | European Futures

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
No deal is not an endgame. It just means there will be no transition period. We haven't even begun to negotiate the future trading arrangement yet.

If we leave with no deal, then it simply means we trade with the EU on WTO rules UNTIL a trade agreement can be finalised. It is no reason whatsoever not to leave.
You're right, a trade deal could be done later. Though I don't see the point, why not do it via the WA and avoid the disruption of no transition, because for any deal, before or after leaving, the same issues will have to be solved (such as the Irish border).

However I wasn't talking about that possibility, but rather Warwolf's suggestion that there's no need for deals at all. By "with no deal ever intended" I meant 'with no intention of making any deal in the future either'.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Oh ok, the worries expressed by business are misplaced then. I hope you’re right. I’ve no idea why you’ve brought the independence parties into it by the way.
Because you said "reason to leave", which I assume you were referring to Scotland leaving to UK, but if you meant leaving the EU, then I misunderstood.

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
Because you said "reason to leave", which I assume you were referring to Scotland leaving to UK, but if you meant leaving the EU, then I misunderstood.
Fair enough. If I were a mod ?I’d close the thread and we could start again.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
However I wasn't talking about that possibility, but rather Warwolf's suggestion that there's no need for deals at all. By "with no deal ever intended" I meant 'with no intention of making any deal in the future either'.
I don't see that as realistic. The UK and EU do too much trade with each other. A trade deal would be mutually beneficial. I don't agree with no deal in the future.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
It would be up to the Scots. Twice we have voted to Remain. What makes you right and us wrong? Certainly, we would be outside for a while but where there's a will there's a way. The EU fast tracked the DDR into the fold. Why would they not be as flexible with Scotland? Read this
"There is considerable political goodwill to Scotland in EU capitals since it is facing Brexit despite having voted to remain. That political goodwill, on current trends, is likely to feed into an effort to fast-track Scotland’s EU membership in the event of a successful independence vote" An Independent Scotland and the EU: What Route to Membership? | European Futures
Because they don't want to encourage their own independence movements, such as in Catalonia.

We went over this argument during the referendum. I don't really care to rehash it.

Status
Closed