Worst War Movie

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
Oh there have been some real stinkers mentioned here for sure.
I wanted to like Alexander, and it had some good cinemetography, but it bored me so much that I couldn't get thru it in one sitting.
U351 was pure fiction.
I would like to add Troy to the worst of the worst. I have forgotten (fortunately) all of the inacuracies ( using Homer as the standard) but they were doozies.

Oh NPR just remembered me, Happy Pearl Harbor day!

How has been to Pearl Harbor?

I have, a very sobering experience. The fumes from the oil still seeping out of the Arizona caused eye irritation. Amazing that it is still leaking fuel oil after that long. An memorable experience visiting there.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
John Wayne's version of "The Alamo" is my capstone of bad married to innacurate.

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
John Wayne's version of "The Alamo" is my capstone of bad married to innacurate.
Alas, I am afraid that you are right that it is pretty wretched. I was raised in Houston, Texas and saw that movie at a tender age and thought that it was inspiring. Later in life I watched it again and was horrified at how sentimental and innacurate it was.

Parenthetically, there is a whole mistique to teaching Texas history at least in the public school system that seems more fanatical and chauvinistic than that for US history. At, least that was my impression.

gaius valerius

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Belgium
Braveheart. We Were Soldiers. Troy (if you consider it a war movie, then lump in Arthur and that other flick, Gladiator and oh yes, The Last Legion in it as well). + All movies prior to the 1990's.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Alas, I am afraid that you are right that it is pretty wretched. I was raised in Houston, Texas and saw that movie at a tender age and thought that it was inspiring. Later in life I watched it again and was horrified at how sentimental and innacurate it was.

Parenthetically, there is a whole mistique to teaching Texas history at least in the public school system that seems more fanatical and chauvinistic than that for US history. At, least that was my impression.
If it makes you feel any better, I teach Texas History and I tell the true story and even show Wayne's version, just to show how wrong it can be, coupled with my lectures & readings.

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
If it makes you feel any better, I teach Texas History and I tell the true story and even show Wayne's version, just to show how wrong it can be, coupled with my lectures & readings.
Then I know that Texas History is being taught, at least in one place, with an even handed and honest approach!

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
Do you mean U571? It might not have been factually accurate, but it was damn fine movie!
Er, yes, of course 571. I am dyslexic with numbers I am afraid.

Woodrow Wilson was Dyslexic as well I have read.

U571 was entertaining for sure, but I am afraid that the hoi polloi may accept it as fact.

I like your avatar. I read a good anecdote about Bismarck once in a biography of him.

When entertaining at his home he would take the serving bowl of potatos, take a modest amount and pass it on to others. He would stare intently and sternly at those taking a helping of potatos. When the bowl returned to him, he would happily help himself to what remained.:)

Sep 2009
Michigan
I hate Hollywood, they always portray america as being right, no matter what they do. It also akes americans look foolish,uneducated, ignorant of their history and just quite dumb.
That's a rather unfair comparison. Pearl Harbour pretends to be a historical film, 300 was a re-make of a comic that never pretended to be an accurate drawing of history. It's pure amusement, an action flick without a tought. It's very well created and animated.

I enjoyed 300, actually I love it while I know it's vastly unnacurate but nobody cares because it never wanted to be accurate, I hate Pearl Harbour because it's full of bull**** patrionism and false emotions straight in line with the usual Hollywood diarrhoea.