Would a Catholic England have handled colonialism differently?

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Probably the same but with protracted slavery, caste systems and priests everywhere.
This is what the Spanish did. Spain was more intensely Catholic than anywhere else. Not sure the French and Portuguese were so interested in converting natives and so on. Not sure if Anglicanism in England was that different from Catholicism in France or Austria.

It would have changed the politics in terms of alliances.

England almost became Catholic again under Mary I, and maybe would have if she had children. By the time of James II, it would have been more difficult.

Also Scotland became Calvinist and the two kingdoms were joined under the same king. That probably wouldn't have worked if England was Catholic. Maybe Scotland becomes Catholic, Scotland stays independent, or Scotland is conquered by England.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
I do think the French were different from the Spanish and Portuguese in the attention that thye paid to proselytising in their colonies, they were not too successful in their efforts to convert the Indians in North America, but plenty of Jesuits did go out and there nuns and I think monks too in the towns; not my area of expertise. In the period in question Anglicanism was quite markedly Protestant and not at all like French and Austrian Catholicism, and there was more religious plurality too (many noncomformists, often successful in commerce).

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
France and Portugal had territories in Africa and Asia where they didn't convert many people to Catholicism. It seems like with Spain conversion was a higher priority. Look at the Philippines and the missions they set up in California.

Ighayere

Ad Honorem
Jul 2012
Benin City, Nigeria
France and Portugal had territories in Africa and Asia where they didn't convert many people to Catholicism. It seems like with Spain conversion was a higher priority. Look at the Philippines and the missions they set up in California.
I think Portugal did actually convert lots of people to Catholicism in Africa.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
If England were Catholic, priest and religious orders would have been important in the colonies. They would also have named everything, St. soinso. Henry VIII didn't change much, but he totally blew away the religious orders and monastaries.

The Catholic religion is also relatively easy to sell to tribal people. One of the objections Protestants had was that there were pagan elements in Catholicisn. That is how Christianity was originally sold to pagans in Europe and the mideast, and the same approach was used in America and Africa.

Anglicanism also has the same appeal, because it is similar to Catholicism. However, it has less emphasis on show, is more staid, and it is hard to sell the King of England being head of the Church. On the other hand, it is less rigid and there are less rules to follow. It was originally a compromise religion, so it is more tolerant.

However, England did not make religion as big a part of colonialism as Catholic powers did,

Similar History Discussions