Would a Catholic England have handled colonialism differently?

Mar 2018
UK
IMO, the spanish did things differently than the british not because of religion, but because of where they colonised. The spanish were in places where there was a large native population and a pre existing state apparatus (for the Incas or Aztecs) that they took over. They also had a lot of raw wealth that they could ship back home (gold and silver). The british were in much more sparsely populated areas and the wealth had to be extracted principally through farming.

betgo

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
There were other differences as Olleus mentions. However, the Spanish presence in California was almost all in Missions run by priests. The Jesuits were kicked out of the Portuguese Empire, which implies they had a lot of power there before their expulsion.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
The story of the Jesuit mission , from California to Paraguay , is pretty epic

It has some parallels with protestants missions to various places even if on the whole the Jesuits approach and practice was much better

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Their concern for the welfare both physical and moral of the natives , within a Christian vision ,
was both practical and enlightened

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
sparky

You can not compare my concern with the physical and moral well-being of the natives within a Christian vision, yesterday was 500 today is today, I want to say that the concerns are different.

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
sparky

My friend, expand on what.

What I can say about the history of Portugal will never be forgotten, if today there are new worlds and countries Portugal was the first country in Europe for this contribution.

We contribute to our culture and language churches Churches, castles etc.

Portugal can not escape the history of slavery that it practiced with the native peoples of Africa, India, etc.

Portugal did bad things for this world, but also did good things for this world.

The Portuguese of today do not think, as they thought before 25 April 1974 Portugal had wars in Portuguese Africa, in school taught us to have hatred for the native peoples of Africa, as they taught to have hatred of neighboring Spain. The last slave in Portugal died in 1930 the slavery finished 1974

friend is the history of my country, I do not say this with pleasure just tell the truth, that I feel with some shame about the history of the country I of acts practiced as slavery the inquisition etc.
My pride that I have of my nation was to be the first country to do the discoveries, to contribute with the Portuguese language religion churches, castles etc.

I give a real example about myself, I am now 60 years old but when I was 20 I could not see a black man in front of me as I hated the Spanish people - today, 40 years ago I see the world with a different mentality.
O. Why the history of Portugal with the battles with Castile and Spain, my country was facist and António Oliveira Salazar wanted to see the Portuguese people illiterate and stupid mentalities, because of Portuguese Africa

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Portugal has no reasons whatsoever to feel bad about it's history
people are bastards everywhere , that is an historical constant , black , yellow , white , purple with stripes , it doesn't matter
nature is ruthless , human nature too

a few , very few , countries brought good to the rest of the world , that is what matter
that is the speck of gold in the mountain of dirt .
dirt there always will be .......but the gold of hope is rare and precious
When Henry launched his brave sailor across the unknown , he was embarking , literally , in space exploration and made the world One

Oct 2015
Matosinhos Portugal
sparky
Friend let's be realistic, I'll speak for my country. All the Portuguese speaking countries these native peoples do not like Portugal is normal and I understand them. The rest is bla bla.

You can not imagine the evil that speaks about Portugal because of history.I do not worry about that. is normal.

Similar History Discussions