Would abolishment of poverty lead to abolishment of wealth?

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
I'm aware wealth and poverty aren't absolute concepts, that they are to a large degree defined in relation to each other, but taking our today standards of povertyand wealth, is it possible to still have wealthy people while at the same time not having poor people anymore?

Nov 2012
In a quince, where the seeds are few and almost si
That depends on what you mean by "poverty" I guess.
Wealth is, of course, the measure of value. Poverty is sometimes referred to as the lack of value (most famously in Matthew 5: "Blessed are the poor in spirit."). In that sense, no. Absolute wealth - abundance of value would eliminate poverty.

However usually poverty refers to absence of money or monetary worth. In that sense, poverty (lack of money) and wealth (presence of [monetary] value) don't have much in common. I.e. a person can be poor and yet still be wealthy. E.g. An person in America could be homeless, and yet own expensive real estate in Europe. She would be poor and wealthy.

Is it possible to eliminate poverty and still have rich people? (This might have been the question you intended.) Yes. In the United States, for example, nobody is poor (compared with 10th century Bantu people) and yet there are rich people. But even if the lower classes in America live better than 15th century princes in Europe, they might still see themselves as poor.

I hope that was a thorough enough answer. If anything needs clarification, let me know :)

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩

Is it possible to eliminate poverty and still have rich people? (This might have been the question you intended.)
Apologies, i intended to write wealthiness, as a synonym for richness, which sounds weird to me. You are right that's what i meant with the question!

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
I'm aware wealth and poverty aren't absolute concepts, that they are to a large degree defined in relation to each other, but taking our today standards of povertyand wealth, is it possible to still have wealthy people while at the same time not having poor people anymore?
No matter how much a hand-out-dependent-welfare state a nation might become,
there would always be some one crying they are being left out & just have to have
more and someone else has to pay for them.

Feb 2011
The far North
Define poverty. Starvation, cold and developing world diseases may be (almost) eradicated. Defined in relative terms, of course, the divide itself is both poverty and wealth, and thence the one will be as suppressed or thrive as much as the other.

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
Poverty and wealth are comparatives to a mean. If everyone has the mean level of wealth then they don't exist.

Exactly the same as short and tall. If everyone was the same height short and tall wouldn't exist.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
The level of poverty can be reduced while there are still wealthy people, so it stands to reason that poverty can be brought down to a very low level. Some people live on the street because they suffer from mental illness, and, therefore, live in poverty. Cases like this may be too difficult to eliminate, as well as people who borrow money they can't pay back and end up on the street.

So, while poverty may always exist, a society can certainly improve them without eliminating wealth.

ib-issi

Ad Honorem
Mar 2011
just sitting here
It is all relative , unfortunately for me most of my close friends have good jobs , and compared to them i feel poor , however to my neighbours , one of whom is disabled , and the other unemployed , i probably seem relatively well off,

but then both my neighbours live in a country that has a social security system so compare them to some kids in another country collecting bottles from rubbishtips to sell for food to eat . etc . etc .