Would an alternative timeline where Hitler had free reign over Europe be preferable to what actually occurred?

Larrey

Ad Honorem
Sep 2011
Not just deportations. Something akin to how the Khmer Rouge shot all people with glasses – as a means of rooting out "intellectuals" – would precede that.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Considering the Soviets, as part of the victors and allies, occupied the Eastern Half of Europe with brutal communist authoritarian regimes and Stalin himself was responsible for the deaths of millions in his own country...would Hitler having free reign have been any different to our timeline in terms of human suffering and pain?
Hangfan91,

Besides what was already said by the other members, basically summarized by MG1962a's post #2, I would like to add that this is an “alternative timeline”, so it is not history, shouldn’t be on a history sub-forum.

The speculative sub-forum serves to these threads, not this one.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
In a non alternative reality, in our world, answering to these kind of threads is also a political statement. Most probably a Nazi, whatever that means in 2019, would answer “yes” to the Thread’s title. While anti-Nazis would certainly tend to answer “no”.

Sometimes hate towards USSR goes too far.
I can’t see how most of the answers here demonstrate hate towards the USSR. At Preferring half of Europe under domain of the Soviet Union that most of Europe under the Nazi regime is at least showing least hate towards the USSR than to the Nazis. In my opinion for many people at the time it was also choosing the lesser evil. So I think you should elaborate your statement, so we could understand you better.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
I think some things hve to be fought, you don't have to count the odds.

The problem with utilitarianism as the philosophical basis for action is that it requires a crystal ball with the final outcome of actions, that just does not exist. You don;t get hindsight.

I think doing what is right in principal is better guide for actions. The Appeasement of dictators and questionable regimes taking unacceptable international actions in clear breach of reasonable international agreements and principles is exactly how Hitler got as far as he did.

Japan, Italy, Germany soul dall have been opposed at the earliest possible breach of international law. Complete sanctions coercing oil could of eiuther provoicked a much more winnable war, (which is apparently inevitable anyway)

If itlay had been dealt serious sanctions (including oil) when it invaded Ethiopia , it could have either climbed down and started behaving or been thrashed in a war.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
It probably would be a very dark place, as @Edric Streona among others pointed out.

But worse or less worse? I think if the Germans had won things would have looked very differently indeed. I remember a conversation I had about this my dad relayed to me from an Estonian relative of mine when I was younger and we talked about this. Having experienced both the Germans and the Russians - and suffered more under the latter - this relative (apparently the conversation between him and my dad took place in the early 90s) was nontheless thankful that Hitler lost the war. The reason? "If they had won, they would still be here. The Russian Communists were too stupid and not thorough enough to rule for ever."

Last edited:

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
No.

While life in the Soviet Union under Stalin was no bed of roses, Nazi Germany was monstrous to a degree that really is in a league all it's own. The best outcome of the war was Nazi Germany's defeat.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Considering the Soviets, as part of the victors and allies, occupied the Eastern Half of Europe with brutal communist authoritarian regimes and Stalin himself was responsible for the deaths of millions in his own country...would Hitler having free reign have been any different to our timeline in terms of human suffering and pain?
No. Next question.

Similar History Discussions