Would Eastern Europe have experienced a brain drain following a Central Powers WWI victory?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would Eastern Europe have experienced a brain drain following a Central Powers World War I victory? Specifically, do you think that a lot of the best and brightest people in Eastern Europe (specifically in Germany's Eastern European puppet states) would have tried to move to Germany in order to improve their lives and, in the case of Jews, escape the anti-Semitism in Eastern Europe? Also, would Germany have actually made serious efforts to recruit Eastern Europe's smartest people to work in Germany in a scenario where Germany won WWI?

I know that a lot of the smartest people in the Third World have moved to the First World in recent decades. AFAIK, this is also true for Eastern Europe's smartest people in real life--specifically with a lot of them moving either to Western Europe or to some other Western countries (the US, Canada, Australia, et cetera). Thus, I'm wondering if something similar could have occurred in Eastern Europe in the event of a German/Central Powers WWI victory. For the record, this brain drain could be immediate or gradual; both of these scenarios would work for the purposes of my question here.

Any thoughts on this?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Germany also had some anti-Semitism, nowhere near as much as under the Nazis but it was there. Some of the brightest of eastern Europe may move to Germany but many may also go elsewhere as they don't view Germany (and its dominance of their states) favorably. I doubt Germany would actively try to recruit them unless they were ethnic germans.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Germany also had some anti-Semitism, nowhere near as much as under the Nazis but it was there. Some of the brightest of eastern Europe may move to Germany but many may also go elsewhere as they don't view Germany (and its dominance of their states) favorably.
Unfortunately, though, the only realistic alternative to German domination of their countries might be Russian domination of their countries.

I doubt Germany would actively try to recruit them unless they were ethnic germans.
What about if they were Poles or Ukrainians or Balts? After all, while Jews are likely to be very overrepresented among the cognitive elite of Eastern Europe, there are certainly going to be members of other ethnic groups who are likewise going to be a part of Eastern Europe's cognitive elite.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Unfortunately, though, the only realistic alternative to German domination of their countries might be Russian domination of their countries.

What about if they were Poles or Ukrainians or Balts? After all, while Jews are likely to be very overrepresented among the cognitive elite of Eastern Europe, there are certainly going to be members of other ethnic groups who are likewise going to be a part of Eastern Europe's cognitive elite.
Part of nationalism is you boast your nation and its people are greatest. Actively recruiting foreigners undermines this. Not saying they wouldn't do it, you could spin it that your great nation has attracted the best but seems less likely.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Part of nationalism is you boast your nation and its people are greatest. Actively recruiting foreigners undermines this. Not saying they wouldn't do it, you could spin it that your great nation has attracted the best but seems less likely.
I guess that I simply have a more big-tent view of nationalism--the one that says that anyone can be a member of this nation as long as they are willing to work hard and contribute.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
I guess that I simply have a more big-tent view of nationalism--the one that says that anyone can be a member of this nation as long as they are willing to work hard and contribute.
That applies in America and other countries to a certain degree now but things were different before the world wars.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
That applies in America and other countries to a certain degree now but things were different before the world wars.
The US did try to be inclusive towards White peoples (including Middle Easterners and North Africans, who were then considered White) even before the World Wars, though. Jews, Poles, Ukrainians, Balts, Finns, Romanians, et cetera are all White peoples.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The US did try to be inclusive towards White peoples (including Middle Easterners and North Africans, who were then considered White) even before the World Wars, though. Jews, Poles, Ukrainians, Balts, Finns, Romanians, et cetera are all White peoples.
I meant America was generally always inclusive (for whitish people) but other countries didn't become comparable until recently.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I meant America was generally always inclusive (for whitish people) but other countries didn't become comparable until recently.
Could a more tolerant German Kaiser have helped push for an attitude change in regards to this in Germany?