Would Iran have won the Iran-Iraq War if it were not for Chemical weapons and USA?

Would they?

• Yes

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 8 53.3%

• Total voters

Mrbsct

Ad Honorem
Jul 2013
USA
Would Iran have completley beaten and annexed Iraq if it were not for the chemical weapons and the USA forcing Iran to stop the blockade?

Jun 2013
Siberia, deep in taiga
Iraq was backed by half of the world, not only US. Even Soviets were arming Iraqis. I think Iran was able to defeat Iraq even in the very beginning of the war but after Islamic Revolution Iranian army was decreased in size and, what's more, experienced officers were purged or fired and islamic mullahs or priests substituted them. Also, in 1981, Iranian conducted its first offensive and results were amazing. All the head Iranian officers were going to Tehran by plane to get deserved honours and...the plane crashed. Iraq head a superiority in the air, that what helped Saddam to prolong this war.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Would Iran have completley beaten and annexed Iraq if it were not for the chemical weapons and the USA forcing Iran to stop the blockade?
Possibly not, but if neither Iraq or Iran used chemical weapons and if no other countries provided any help/assistance to either Iraq or Iran, then Iran might have very well (eventually) completely defeated and conquered Iraq (due to its numerical superiority, if for no other reason).

I don't think that Iran would have annexed Iraq, though--after all, as far as I know, there were almost no Persians living in Iraq during this time; rather, I think that having Iran make Iraq into an Iranian puppet state would have been much more likely.

starman

Ad Honorem
Jan 2014
Connecticut
Iraq was backed by half of the world, not only US. Even Soviets were arming Iraqis.
Of course, it had been Soviet armed for some time prior to 1980.

Also, in 1981, Iranian conducted its first offensive and results were amazing.
Well not quite. Susangird was a costly setback.

Iraq head a superiority in the air, that what helped Saddam to prolong this war.
It only gained superiority when Iran's F-4s and F-14s were grounded for lack or parts and/or other issues. With few exceptions, Iranian pilots, like ground commanders, outclassed their Iraqi counterparts. Iraq only came out on top in 1988 when Egyptian officers taught their men how to script operations. And they needed an overwhelming edge in seviceable tanks etc.

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
Iraqi military was mainly Soviet armed and to some extent supplied by Germany and France. It was not chemical weapons but it was purge in Iranian Military and arms embargo.

Feb 2015
UK
100% Yes. The decisive factor was the arms embargo. Entire Iranian military was armed with US arms. US embargo crippled the entire Iranian armed forces. It reduced them to WW1 force relying on waves of infantry.

Iraq on the other hand recieved massive help from everybody. If you take these external factors out the Iranian's would have whooped the Iraqi's.