Would most Americans during the Civil War know of the existence of homosexuality?

Jun 2015
UK
Yes, they did.
But it would have been dismissed, or even falsely acknowledged not to exist.
It would be like in African or Asian countries today.
Just like Nigerians say it's "unAfrican" - I can imagine President Davis or even President Abe, or Generals Grant and Lee saying it's "unAmerican".

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
I'll guarantee you that Gronk the Caveman knew about homosexuality! Whether or not a given society is evolved enough to recognize it publicly is a different story but, come on man, they knew about it!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Lawnmowerman (post 3) gave an example "poofter" . I'm sure were many names at various places and times.

martin76

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
Spain
I think Americans are not more stupid or more intelligent than the others humans.. and they knew homosexuality.... that existed in Summer, Egypt, Crete, Greece, Persia.... from Ancient days!!!...

So, yes, there were homosexuals in 1861-1865... and yes.. I guess (but I don´t know) for sure homosexuals also fought in CSA Army!! (and in the union)...andn for sure... 300 Pederast fought as demons in Thermopilae!... But I think the sexuality care nothing in history...Who care if Alexander was homo, hetero or bisex?
Do you think that matter if Prinz Eugen was pederast and loved slavonic boys? For me not! I care nothing if a man is a very hetero, man, a very homo or very bisex...I am only interested how he fight!! (but I am not protestant.. so.. I am tolerant).

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I just researched this briefly on the internet. The word homosexual was not invented until the 1890s. We all know the word gay didn't mean homosexual back then. How hidden was homosexuality in the 1860s America? It appears it was so hidden that there was not even a word for it! That's pretty darn hidden.
When I was in college in the early 60s, I saw a play (don’t know when it was written) but assume it was written long ago. One of the characters in the play was called a “gray boy”. Not a gay boy, but “gray”. Everyone in the audience knew what that meant even if it took a second to figure it out.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
If you think that premarital sex was as common in the 1950s and before the 50s than todat, we will have to agree to disagree.
Correct. Of course it happened (probably more than we think), but when “the pill” came along in the mid-late 60s, everything changed, at least for Americans.

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
When I was in college in the early 60s, I saw a play (don’t know when it was written) but assume it was written long ago. One of the characters in the play was called a “gray boy”. Not a gay boy, but “gray”. Everyone in the audience knew what that meant even if it took a second to figure it out.
Everyone except you.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I just researched this briefly on the internet. The word homosexual was not invented until the 1890s. We all know the word gay didn't mean homosexual back then. How hidden was homosexuality in the 1860s America? It appears it was so hidden that there was not even a word for it! That's pretty darn hidden.
Yeah, before that, "gay" simply meant "happy." That's why the 1890s were called the Gay Nineties. It certainly wasn't because they were having a lot of gay sex in the 1890s!

Sep 2013
Chattanooga, TN
Gray boy meant gay boy. I said everyone except historum member royal knew that gray boy meant gay boy because in post #28, royal said that he didn't know what gray boy meant at first. Royal had to ask royal's brother what it meant. Royal's brother said that gray boy meant gay boy. Royal said that was "news to him".