Would the Nazis have ever been willing to agree to a temporary truce during World War II in order to get some Jews out of Nazi hands?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I was recently curious about this--do you think that the Nazis would have ever actually been willing to agree to a temporary truce during World War II in order to get some Jews out of Nazi hands and into Allied hands? I know that the Nazis tried to blackmail the Western Allies by offering to trade the Hungarian Jews in exchange for 10,000 trucks that the Nazis planned to use in the war effort against the USSR on the Eastern Front. Obviously that was unacceptable since winning the war absolutely had to come first, but do you think that there was any realistic way for the Nazis to have ever agreed to a temporary truce (without the lifting of the British blockade on Nazi Germany) at any point in time during World War II so that some Jews could have gotten out of Nazi hands and into Allied hands? Granted, the Allies weren't exactly super-concerned about Jewish well-being (for them, it was secondary to the war effort itself), but if they would have hypothetically been more concerned about this, would such a deal with the Nazis have ever actually been possible? For the record, I am talking about a deal where Nazi Germany gets a temporary truce (maybe a couple of weeks or a month or two at the very most) but absolutely nothing else from the Allies--so, no money, no trucks, no tanks, no weapons, NOTHING!

Anyway, what are your thoughts on this?

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Yes absolutely, any time after the failure of the Kursk offensive Germany would be totally on board with a truce where they would pretend to free Jews from their custody. May take a few months to check where they are and of course they would have to bolster their military to help with this. Germany would never use this respite as an opportunity to rearm, rebuild and prepare new offensives and then finally say nope, no Jews in Germany, sorry. (Heavy sarcasm implied)

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Yes absolutely, any time after the failure of the Kursk offensive Germany would be totally on board with a truce where they would pretend to free Jews from their custody. May take a few months to check where they are and of course they would have to bolster their military to help with this. Germany would never use this respite as an opportunity to rearm, rebuild and prepare new offensives and then finally say nope, no Jews in Germany, sorry. (Heavy sarcasm implied)
Technically speaking, though, the Allies could and would rearm in the meantime as well.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Technically speaking, though, the Allies could and would rearm in the meantime as well.
After the Kursk offensive Germany was in the much worse position. After Kursk the Soviets went on the offensive, driving the Germans almost back to pre-invasion borders and the western allies were invading Italy and waging a brutal air war against Germany. If anyone needed a break it was the Germans.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
After the Kursk offensive Germany was in the much worse position. After Kursk the Soviets went on the offensive, driving the Germans almost back to pre-invasion borders and the western allies were invading Italy and waging a brutal air war against Germany. If anyone needed a break it was the Germans.
Fair point. Of course, by the time of the Kursk Offensive, the Nazis had already murdered most of the Jews under their rule. :( I do wonder, though, if, short of assassinating Hitler and launching an anti-Nazi coup, there was any realistic way of saving Hungary's Jewish population (the ones outside of Budapest nearly all died in the Holocaust) as well as the remaining 70,000 Jews in the Lodz Ghetto.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Fair point. Of course, by the time of the Kursk Offensive, the Nazis had already murdered most of the Jews under their rule. :( I do wonder, though, if, short of assassinating Hitler and launching an anti-Nazi coup, there was any realistic way of saving Hungary's Jewish population (the ones outside of Budapest nearly all died in the Holocaust) as well as the remaining 70,000 Jews in the Lodz Ghetto.
Only if Hungary switched sides early in 44 and somehow managed to hold their territory until the soviets broke through.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Only if Hungary switched sides early in 44 and somehow managed to hold their territory until the soviets broke through.
The best thing would have been for Hungary not to switch sides at all, no? I mean, Romania under Ion Antonescu never switched sides until he was overthrown (by which point it was too late for the Nazis to militarily intervene in Romania) and thus Nazi Germany never actually occupied Romania--which meant that the roughly 290,000 Jews in Wallachia plus Moldavia survived World War II and the Holocaust.

Also, do you think that a continuation of the Soviet advance into Poland in mid-1944 would have saved the remaining Jews of the Lodz Ghetto? I'm just trying to figure out some alternative ways to save a lot of additional Jews without jeopardizing the Allied war effort. Obviously the most obvious course of action in regards to this would have been for Stalin to deport Soviet Jews en masse to the interior of the Soviet Union in the year before Operation Barbarossa; that way, an additional 2.5+ million Soviet Jews would have survived World War II and the Holocaust.

Apr 2017
U.S.A.
The best thing would have been for Hungary not to switch sides at all, no? I mean, Romania under Ion Antonescu never switched sides until he was overthrown (by which point it was too late for the Nazis to militarily intervene in Romania) and thus Nazi Germany never actually occupied Romania--which meant that the roughly 290,000 Jews in Wallachia plus Moldavia survived World War II and the Holocaust.

Also, do you think that a continuation of the Soviet advance into Poland in mid-1944 would have saved the remaining Jews of the Lodz Ghetto? I'm just trying to figure out some alternative ways to save a lot of additional Jews without jeopardizing the Allied war effort. Obviously the most obvious course of action in regards to this would have been for Stalin to deport Soviet Jews en masse to the interior of the Soviet Union in the year before Operation Barbarossa; that way, an additional 2.5+ million Soviet Jews would have survived World War II and the Holocaust.
Hungary was screwed either way, there was no good options for them during ww2.
A more sensible way to save the jews would be to prevent the war, or prevent Hitler/anti-semites from taking power. Or have Germany be far less successful in war. Millions of non-jews died as well.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Hungary was screwed either way, there was no good options for them during ww2.
Yeah, I mean, they were much more vulnerable to German conquest than Romania was by sheer virtue of their geography.

A more sensible way to save the jews would be to prevent the war, or prevent Hitler/anti-semites from taking power. Or have Germany be far less successful in war. Millions of non-jews died as well.
Or avoid having France fall in 1940. It's too bad that leaders screwed up with such monumental consequences. :(

Mar 2014
Lithuania
I was under impression, that death camps was big surprise to allied forces. As for concentration camps even USA kept Japanese in concentration camps during WW2.