WWI Trivia

avon

Forum Staff
May 2008
A number of years ago, during my time as a pig farmer, I was sitting having lunch and doing the crossword in some tabloid newspaper. You're probably familiar with the type of puzzle - very few words longer that 4 or 5 letters, very few black spaces in the grid. Now, baring in mind that I'm sitting in a pig farm, the clue read 'Mr. Pig' - 4 letters. Well, I sat and sat and looked and better looked and could not think of any such Mr. Pig. After about 5 or 6 minutes !! Boar !! a male pig -- Mr. Pig!! Sometimes, things are just too simple to see!!

Oct 2008
The Bright Center of the Universe
The clue is misleading-do we actually consider the trench line in Belgium to be the German/French border? :)
True, but I think what they were trying to say where the Germans were on one side and the French on the other. Remember the French defended the majority of the Western Front and it was the British and Commonwealth forces stationed in Belgium

Jul 2008
NE PA
True, but I think what they were trying to say where the Germans were on one side and the French on the other. Remember the French defended the majority of the Western Front and it was the British and Commonwealth forces stationed in Belgium
I realize that-just pointing out that the clue was a bit open ended.