WWII how important was the Pacific?

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
How important was the fighting in the Pacific compared to what was going on in Europe? How many people died fighting in the Pacific vs fighting in Europe?

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
The Allies met and agreed that Europe would be taken care of first, but they also couldn't ignore the Pacific, Australia, New Zealand, and America were at stake if they did. That's why America sent her army to Europe and left the Pacific for much of the Navy and Marine Corps. Europe was the agreed upon #1 objective, but Japan was not forgotten about, except by the Soviets, they had no interest in pursuing a war on two fronts. They were officially neutral in the War in the Pacific.

Aug 2006
Chelan
i think if it wasent for the pacific that germany would have conquered america and life would have been entirely different. because if it wasent for japan we wouldnt have gone into the war and attacked japan and then germany...

CelticBard

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Roving
Corey_Caesar13 said:
i think if it wasent for the pacific that germany would have conquered america and life would have been entirely different. because if it wasent for japan we wouldnt have gone into the war and attacked japan and then germany...
Germany conquer America? Britain is a small island nation and it was too much for Germany to handle, I don't think their short range, light bombers and carrierless navy would have been very effective at bringing the war to American soil.

I think it was just as darn important for what seems to me a hundred reasons. The Germans were not much worse by a long shot than were the Japanese and they both had the same darn goal....to be the bosses of everything. The Japanese took a lot of territory, supressed a lot of people, killed a bunch, tortured a bunch, stole a bunch, dominated a bunch, were arrogant as hell and got very near to building an atomic bomb and didn't seem to have enough morals to fill a salt shaker.

The Pacific War was everything the European War was without all the press. Probably because those Germans dressed so darn well...leather and stuff and all those flags and speaches and marching around with that salute of theirs... they were the big show while the Japanese were just a rampaging bunch of killing maming bastard. But they put up one hell of a fight.

Jul 2006
Hellas
Lab-rat said:
I think it was just as darn important for what seems to me a hundred reasons. The Germans were not much worse by a long shot than were the Japanese and they both had the same darn goal....to be the bosses of everything. The Japanese took a lot of territory, supressed a lot of people, killed a bunch, tortured a bunch, stole a bunch, dominated a bunch, were arrogant as hell and got very near to building an atomic bomb and didn't seem to have enough morals to fill a salt shaker.

The Pacific War was everything the European War was without all the press. Probably because those Germans dressed so darn well...leather and stuff and all those flags and speaches and marching around with that salute of theirs... they were the big show while the Japanese were just a rampaging bunch of killing maming bastard. But they put up one hell of a fight.
I don't think that the Japanese and German army was a "Fight" circus, both armies were already prepared and ready in the start of the war explaining their initial success, generals and soldiers of the Axis powers were respected and not underistimate by the Allies, and this fact proves the reliability and trustworthiness of the Allied leader, they did what they have to win the war.
The only way for Germany to conquer USA i have see it in a ... game "Panzer Generals" :)

Aug 2006
Nebraska
CelticBard said:
Corey_Caesar13 said:
Germany conquer America? Britain is a small island nation and it was too much for Germany to handle, I don't think their short range, light bombers and carrierless navy would have been very effective at bringing the war to American soil.
Then just maybe...they would BUILD MORE SHIPS once Britain was taken care of. Which it very nearly was.

Jul 2006
Massachusetts
CelticBard said:
Corey_Caesar13 said:
True at the time. But suppose the US had never entered the war and Germany had fully developed their rockets for long range? Or completed their atomic experiments? That might have been quite different. Not that they would have been able to settle here for 10,000 years or so...

Chris--

Commander

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Jacksonville, FL
If Germany would have conquered all of Europe, it would have taken them decades to rebuild and gain enough strength to sail across the ocean and invade America. I just don't see it happening. They would have to move through Mexico or Canada first and establish supply routes.