XVI-XVII Eastern European armies, tactics, units

Hello everyone !

I was asked by a member of this forum whom I know as Spartan JKM some time ago to asnwer some questions which have already been answered before I have visited the thread with the request...:(

Nonetheless now I am more or less ready to answer at least some of your questions related to the title.

I am a history enthusiast for over 20 years already and although I am not a historian I can offer some answers you could not find anywhere else.

Much of it would be based according to the latest works about the warfare in the period and data which I have managed to collect for my own uses ( like my Total War mod - Pike and Musket).

I can offer to answer questions only once per every 3-4 days so I am sorry for delays. Currently I believe I have rather etensive knowledge about even so little known armies like Circassian, Czech or Irish.
Of course I prefer those about Polish history and in XVIth and XVIIth century, but I have in general at least some knowlege to deal with almost every topic, though not to inform you the same way.

Cheers for now !

Well
Poland forces:

"Husaria"- elite cavalry, based on unit from Serbia, but through the ages completely modefied... from light cavalry to heavy
They were fighting with long spear, with force of horse speed and were equipied with pistols
Mainy used to break enemy lines, this unit didnt lose battle for over 100 years fighting agains Sweden, Moscow, Ottoman Empire
beggining of carrier 1502-3, till XVIII ceuntry
It was used in battles like:
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kircholm"]Battle of Kircholm - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Beresteczko"]Battle of Berestechko - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_vienna"]Battle of Vienna - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
It is supposed to be the bes cavalry in XVII ceuntry
"German Infantry" - it was unit formed of POLISH PEOPLE but the same way like German units, basic infantry with spears to counter calary, and equiped with pistols
"Hungarian Infantry" - another infantry unit formed of Polish people, but in the same way like Hungarian units, without spears to counter cavalry, well equipied

All infantry units were mosty formated of farmers, number of them was usualy over 3 000 in peace time and in war aproximetly up to 30 000 in XV c.
in XVII - 50 000

However, infantry was mostly used to support Husaria in field or by the moment of siege
The most important force was Husaria and it was used to win batles

There were also light cavalry, used to clean field after Hussaria charge

From time to time Poland used some Ukrainian forces (Ukraine was under control of Poland)
Ukrainian infantry - very good infatry which was guarding border from Ottomans atack, they were hard to cotrol and it resulted in Chmielnicki's uprising

All in all Poland is supposed to be one of the strongest countries in XVI-XVII ceutrys. We won many battles agains the stronges empires of Europe like Ottoman Empire, Sweden, Moscov (even took over Moscov)
The main Polish way to win a battle was to destroy whole army of enemy, do not let anybody run away. They were very slow, becouse of supplies they always carried with them.
The main problem of Polish army was:
- low number of troops
- problems with supplies
- problems with altilery
- problems with money

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions