Yoga chants and Catholic mass

Feb 2012
Portugal
Hello, did anyone notice the similarity between Yoga chants and the singing in some Catholic masses when the priest is singing the mass (Gregorian chant?)?
Not being very familiar with religious chants was wondering what is the reason?

Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
The similarity between mantras and the Gregorian and liturgical chants? Well, sacred intonations can be similar across cultures and time, and there are many different kinds. the mantra or "mind guard" (or "tool" or instrument") is not meant to guard the mind, but rather to stop the mind from interfering with a gnostic or transcendental state; involving it in repetition the essence of the mantra can manifest. There are simple bija mantras meant to act on the fundamental forces of the universe and consciousness, and mantras for many other purposes, many being specific to particular dieties (e.g. Tara) or manifestations. Not suprising that the human voice whether chanting a mantra, a spell, the Lord's prayer, or a prayer in Hebrew, etc. doesn't have some similar sounding intonations.
This works for me... Amazing

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Feb 2012
Portugal
The similarity between mantras and the Gregorian and liturgical chants? Well, sacred intonations can be similar across cultures and time, and there are many different kinds. the mantra or "mind guard" (or "tool" or instrument") is not meant to guard the mind, but rather to stop the mind from interfering with a gnostic or transcendental state; involving it in repetition the essence of the mantra can manifest. There are simple bija mantras meant to act on the fundamental forces of the universe and consciousness, and mantras for many other purposes, many being specific to particular dieties (e.g. Tara) or manifestations. Not suprising that the human voice whether chanting a mantra, a spell, the Lord's prayer, or a prayer in Hebrew, etc. doesn't have some similar sounding intonations.
This works for me... Amazing
Amazing indeed as it sounds a bit guttural, however at least the beginning doesn't sound like Catholic chants, not like the one at the beginning of this class:

Or this one which is not Indian though it sounds great:
Thanks for the explanation on mantra meditation. I have the idea there was neoplatonic philosopher I remember reading about who used "en" (one) similarly to om if I'm not mistaken as a mantra but can't remember who he was.
I replaced the second video for one only with the mantra.

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions