You as author of a great historical work...

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Northern part of European lowland
Imagine You(Historumites - everyone who have any idea and find it fun or rewarding) have decided to write a great historical work - here either a part of world history or at least international history(for local or national history under "continental/superregional level start yout own thread), but sub-themes allowed (as a world history of science fromyear x to year y).
What era, what theme would be favourites, and how would You go to the task? What periodisation, perhaps chapter, pointas of view would You like to express? When Your favourite themes, structure etcetera are made, of course the rest of us may discuss Your way.
In such a great site for people interested in history I think at least a few of You may have some ideas You would like to share.

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
Just to make it clear: What I ask for here is not the extensive history, but the "plan" for it, perhaps the content, a short resume.

Mar 2014
Canterbury
I've been planning a book on the Kingdom of the Hebrides for quite some time. A full overview of its history, c. 1120 - 1600, but with a twist: it's removed the Scotto-centric view most authors have written from, uses contemporary indigenous evidence to a great degree, and puts its subject in a big global (or at least British Isles) perspective. It'll also advance several news theories that, when you look at the contemporary evidence, are pretty obvious, but which the long-neglected field hasn't had articulated before.

The chapters would be divided into periods (1120-1330, 1330-1424, 1424-1493, then 1493-1600) which would be divided into individual rulers, with addendums at the end on a range of subjects about culture, the economy, society, and the wider world.

Last edited:

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
I've been planning a book on the Kingdom of the Hebrides for quite some time. A full overview of its history, c. 1120 - 1600, but with a twist: it's removed the Scotto-centric view most authors have written from, uses contemporary indigenous evidence to a great degree, and puts its subject in a big global (or at least British Isles) perspective. It'll also advance several news theories that, when you look at the contemporary evidence, are pretty obvious, but which the long-neglected field hasn't had articulated before.

The chapters would be divided into periods (1120-1330, 1330-1424, 1424-1493, then 1493-1600) which would be divided into individual rulers, with addendums at the end on a range of subjects about culture, the economy, society, and the wider world.
Interesting, though I frankly know little about those isles except there was many Scandinavian connections (and quarrels, violence), mostly with Norway and its "colones" in the west. By the way those who never expect to write any works themselves, but only have ideas are very welcome.

Apr 2015
Louisiana
I am planning on researching the rate of political unification in the modern world, although this might just be a research project at first.

Feb 2015
washington
I would to write a full length biography on Karl XII that also covers the great northern war.
Gustav III also deserves an english biography.
Finally I would write about the Great Turkish War, which does not have a single english language book despite having enormous consequences for the world.

Jax

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Seattle
The brunt of my research is a chronological overview of the Christian written compositions that are avalible to us of the first three centuries and how they relate to the times in which they were written.

I have started this process by outlining a book that I have titled 'Jesus, Josephus, the Jewish War and the Gospel of Mark'.

I still have a lot of basic research to do as I would like to do it right. Otherwise.... what's the point?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
I've toyed with trying to write a novel about the First Jewish-Roman War, specifically the parallels I see with the contemporary Middle East.

There's a 99.98% chance that this will never go anywhere.

Fantasus

Ad Honorem
Jan 2012
The "point(s)"..

The brunt of my research is a chronological overview of the Christian written compositions that are avalible to us of the first three centuries and how they relate to the times in which they were written.

I have started this process by outlining a book that I have titled 'Jesus, Josephus, the Jewish War and the Gospel of Mark'.

I still have a lot of basic research to do as I would like to do it right. Otherwise.... what's the point?
This thread made out partly of curiosity: What does some readers here think is important in world or continental history (tremember:In the OP was asked for only works of either "world" or a "continentwide" or similar size, so more "local" or national topics could get their own thread and separate attention). How do one dispose? What is seen as important fascinates or interests, and (importantly, not least) why? How would You "periodise" (What period would You cover, how eventually sub-divide it, and why so?) Let us say some has a dream (only a dream, one of those You never expect to make real) to write, say, about Europe in 20.th century or part of it (I read one by Eric Hobsbawm(actually a world history, but somehow Europe/US more in the centre) now, but imagine it could have been done a lot of other ways). What is then to be seen as central to each sub-period? Should German History and the world wars ("the 31-year war" according to some, though I am not sure I agree) really be seen as the all-dominating theme? Were the years from about 1945 to about 1975 "Golden Years" in the way He describes them?
I imagine that some such ideas would deserve both discussion and critical thoughts (sometimes criticism, if well-reasoned, improves our understanding, and help us make a better approach..)
Perhaps I later put forward some of my own thoughts...