You can change 10 national borders worldwide; which ones would you change?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I created a thread similar to this one several years ago and I wanted to redo it in order to see how people's opinions in regards to this have changed. Anyway, here are my own thoughts on this right now:

1. Unify Korea. North Korea is an abomination and thus has to go. A transition period of a couple of decades where North Korea is managed as a South Korean protectorate might be a good idea due to the extreme wealth gap between North and South Korea right now, though.

2. An independent Kurdistan consisting of all Kurdish-majority territories in Syria, Iraq, Iran, and Turkey. The Kurds deserve their independence, and they will get it.

3. The Malay-majority parts of southern Thailand (at the very tip of southern Thailand) either become independent or join Malaysia.

4. West Papua becomes independent from Indonesia.

5. Jordan and most of Syria form a union under the Hashemites. Interestingly enough, this should have been done in 1920 as per the original plan:

Franco-Syrian War - Wikipedia

Of course, Syria's Alawite-majority coast becomes an independent state and (as I said above) the Kurdish-majority parts of Syria are going to join an independent Kurdistan.

6. An independent Palestine along the lines of the 2003 Geneva Initiative, but with borders slightly more in favor of Israel.

7. A partition of Nigeria into an independent Igbo state in the southeast, an independent Yoruba state in the southwest, and an independent Hausa-Fulani state in the north that could be viewed as being a recreation of the Sokoto Caliphate of the old days.

8. The Chittagong Hill Tracts get transferred from Bangladesh to India.

9. Romania annexes Moldova, with the exception of Transnistria and possibly Gaugazia as well--both of which Ukraine can annex.

10. South Tyrol--with the exception of its Italian-majority strip--gets transferred from Italy to Austria.

Anyway, how does all of this sound?

Reactions: bedb and macon
Aug 2019
United States
Kurdistan covers the ancient Assyrian empire, there's a lot of debates between Kurds and Assyrians over who the land really belongs to. Kurds are the majority while Assyrians are a very small community so the bigger community will win out. I don't think Turkish-Kurds and Iranian-Kurds are in favor of joining Kurdistan, the Iraqi and Syrian ones seem the most adamant but then is it worth only getting a small part of Greater Kurdistan? Also if I'm not wrong, there are a lot of Arabs in cities like Mosul and Kirkuk, so who gets these cities?

Alawites rule Syria currently, they're essentially Arab people that follow a different sect of Islam. It'd make sense for them to join the Syria-Jordan state you proposed, however I don't think that's a good idea because Syrians and native Jordanians are very different. Northern Iraq merging with Syria makes a lot more sense. Alawites getting the coast wouldn't be fair to Syria, that's just going to cause future troubles and animosity.

I don't think Chittagong hill tracts should go to India, they speak a Bengali dialect and are already part of a Bengali nation unless you mean the Chakma minority but even then it'd make no sense to leave one country you're a minority in to another multi-ethnic country where you're a superminority probably not even .000001% of the population. If the 7 sister states of India were to secede then maybe it'd make sense for Chittagong to join them.

Reactions: Futurist

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I will be happy if Pakistan disappeared from the maps and was replaced by the Baluch homeland, the Sindhi homeland, the west Punjab district of the Pashtun homeland, Pashtun homeland itself and the Pakistan occupied Kashmir which will merge with India together with Raksham valley gifed by Pakistan to the PRC. And lastly but not least with Aksai Chin grabbed by the PRC returned to India by the PRC.

Aug 2019
United States
I will be happy if Pakistan disappeared from the maps and was replaced by the Baluch homeland, the Sindhi homeland, the west Punjab district of the Pashtun homeland, Pashtun homeland itself and the Pakistan occupied Kashmir which will merge with India together with Raksham valley gifed by Pakistan to the PRC. And lastly but not least with Aksai Chin grabbed by the PRC returned to India by the PRC.
Well that's a pipedream. Also if Pakistan were to split, Punjab will also become an independent republic.

There's no way Azad Kashmir and Gilgit-Baltistan would ever merge with India, you would have to invade them and they make great fighters. They would never want to join India if for some reason Pakistan disbands. If Punjab and Sindh become independent republics this will be bad for India because Punjabis and Sindhis would develop an independent identity much like how now Bengali identity is associated with Bangladesh all over the world, India can no longer take from Punjabi culture. Also this will cause problems in the Indian side of Punjab as there is already a separatist movement and most Indian-Punjabis just call themselves Punjabi, at least that's the case in North America. Once Punjab is a country, they'll just tell people they're from the Republic. India is no shape to get Shaksgam valley or Aksai Chin from China. Anyways before any of this happens, hell will freeze over.

Feb 2014
Miami
1) Break up USA so Alaska, California, dixieland, Hawaii, and Texas are all independent
2) independence of two Sicilies and Venice from italy
3) breakup of Belgium into Flanders and walloonia
4) break up France so occitania and Brittany are independent
5) break up United Kingdom so Ireland is united, Scotland is free and so is cmyru
6) break up China so Inner Mongolia is returned, Manchuria is independent, Tibet and Uighur are independent
7) allow the India nation to break up into their constituents
8) allow the caucasians independence from Russia and same for the karelians and outer Manchuria
9) allow maya to have independent state from Mexico
10) united the Korea peninsula

Reactions: Abaseen

Theodoric

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Yötebory Sveriya
You CAN'T ask this and expect me to resist making some rather interesting border situations.

* Israel is given to the Assyrian Christians
* Alsace-Lorraine is now the new home of Israel
* Mexico should own the chunk of the US that roughly covers Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Nevada
* Louisiana should become the property of Iran
* Alabama property of Saudi Arabia
* Kashmir also becomes part of Iran
* The Middle of Lebanon will be given to ISIS
* Eastern Germany will be given to Turkey
* London is given to France
* Paris is given to England

Now the question: How does WW3 start?