Your country's most shameful moments

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What are your country's most shameful moments? As for my own adopted country the United States of America, there are my thoughts on this (not in any particular order):

1. Its historical mistreatment of the Native Americans. The US should have pursued a more humane and less brutal Native American policy--for instance, by allowing Native Americans to remain on their traditional lands if they would have agreed to assimilate like the Cherokee did.
2. Its crushing of the Filipino independence rebellion after the Spanish-American War. The US should have allowed the Philippines to immediately become independent rather than to squander a lot of lives and treasure in order to keep the Philippines--and also squander a lot of Filipino lives in the process as well.
3. Its withdrawal into isolationism after the end of WWI. Considering that the US helped pave the way for the Entente victory in WWI, it should have been willing to play a role in enforcing and upholding the post-WWI peace settlement. That way, maybe it would have been harder for this settlement to unravel in the 1930s and lead to a new World War. Also, even if a new World War would have still occurred, maybe there would have been no Fall of France had the US already been an active participant in this war.
4. Its support for Pakistan while it was conducing mass murder in Bangladesh in 1970-1971. At the very least, the US should have aggressively pushed Pakistan to halt this murderous rampage--but of course it would have been even better for the US to support India and the Bengali rebels in this conflict (though I am unsure just how politically feasible this part would have been).
5. Its support for the Khmer Rouge in the decade after 1979 in order to give the Vietnamese a bloody nose in Cambodia.
6. Its encouragement of Iraqi Kurds and Shi'ites to rebel against Saddam Hussein in 1991 only for the US to subsequently abandon them. At the very least, if the US wanted to keep Saddam Hussein in power in 1991, it should have refrained from giving any false hope or any false encouragement to Iraqi Kurds and Shi'ites.
7. The historical presence of slavery in the US as well as the Jim Crow laws in huge parts of the US in the century after the end of the American Civil War.

Anyway, what exactly am I missing from my list here and what would you have put on an equivalent list for your own countries?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Slavery
Indian Policy
Japanese Internment
McCarthyism
I mentioned the first two but forgot the last two. Yeah, the last two were certainly extremely shameful for the US as well. :(

I decided not to edit my post to add the last two items here because I want people to see my thought process from almost an hour ago even if I forgot to mention these two items back then.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Anyway, what exactly am I missing from my list here and what would you have put on an equivalent list for your own countries?
I have duel citizenship so I get two bites of the cherry :)

For the US.

Mexican - American war.

For Australia.

2003 Iraq War. I had always been proud that Australia had never been involved in starting a war, but had been around a few times to help end them.

2001 - Tampa crisis. Truly sickened my heart.

Australian troops board refugee ship

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have duel citizenship so I get two bites of the cherry :)
So do I, actually. I personally have dual US-Israeli citizenship. Personally, I would view Israel's most shameful moments as being these:

1. Being a bit too cavalier about the expulsions of Arabs in 1948-1949. For instance, if a sizable part of the Galilee Arabs were allowed to remain, shouldn't the Arabs in Lod and Ramle have been allowed to remain as well? I'm just wondering if Israel expelled more Arabs than was actually necessary.

2. Not intervening in order to stop the Sabra and Shatila massacre during the Lebanese Civil War in 1982. :(

3. Successfully pressuring the US to reduce the amount of Soviet Jews that it accepts so that more Soviet Jews will be compelled to move to Israel instead.

4. Not having civil marriage in Israel and generally having Jewish supremacist views--even to the point where non-halakhic Jews such as myself and my own family don't actually feel very welcome in Israel. :(

5. Having parties rely too much on the Ultra-Orthodox when it comes to forming governing coalitions.

6. Supporting Iran during the Iran-Iraq War and initially supporting Hamas as a counterweight to Fatah/the PLO.

For the US.

Mexican - American war.
This war significantly helped advance US national interests, though. :)

For Australia.

2003 Iraq War. I had always been proud that Australia had never been involved in starting a war, but had been around a few times to help end them.
Eh ... the Iraq War is debatable, I suppose. I mean, it was good for the Iraqis and probably less bloody for them than the alternative was, but at the same time the cost in lives and money to the US wasn't exactly minuscule. IMHO, a better time to remove Saddam was in 1991. Still, better late than never, I suppose.

2001 - Tampa crisis. Truly sickened my heart.

Australian troops board refugee ship
Sad. :(

Mar 2019
Kansas
Eh ... the Iraq War is debatable, I suppose. I mean, it was good for the Iraqis and probably less bloody for them than the alternative was, but at the same time the cost in lives and money to the US wasn't exactly minuscule. IMHO, a better time to remove Saddam was in 1991. Still, better late than never, I suppose.
I am not wanting to debate the validity of the war - I think that will be debated for years to come. My shame came from the fact we were part of a group of nations who initiated the war.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Slavery, the Mexican-American War (a blatant land-grab on the part of the U.S. expand slavery), policies toward Native-Americans, failure to secure the rights of the freedmen during Reconstruction, the Know-Nothings, sending in U.S. Marines to support a coup d'etat against the Hawaiian monarchy (on behalf of rich American businessmen), internment of Japanese-Americans, McCarthyism, the often atrocious treatment of American veterans, discrimination against homosexuals.

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Modern Italy has seen two different entities from the unification: a Kingdom and a Republic. Anyway we can consider that this Italy exists since the creation of the Kingdom. This means that my country has known its worse moments under Fascism.

In particular Mussolini took two decisions which are still considered real crimes against mankind [and actually they were that]:

during the colonial war against Ethiopians Mussolini agreed with Gen. Badoglio to use chemical weapons. Many Ethiopians died and Italy won that colonial war. The only reason why there wasn't a trial against the Italian commands after WWII was that Gen. Badoglio became Prime Minister of the Southern Kingdom after the fall of the Fascist Regime and he begun to lead the Italian Army to fight with the allies against the Germans [so it was because of real politik that Badoglio never had to face a trial and note that after the war Ethiopia officially required to judge him ... his name disappeared from the list of the commission who examined the possible Italian war criminals ...].

An other moment which has remained well alive in the historical memory of the Italians is when Mussolini issued [and the King signed] the "Racial Laws" which started the deportation of Jews also from Italy to the Concentration Camps. Now, historians debate if Mussolini was anti-Semite or simply followed his great Nazi ally, but the substance of the matter is that the Racial Laws had issued. Jews in Italy [a good part of them had arrived from other European countries just to escape to Nazi governments] were lucky, since Italians [a part military ranks and the most "pure" pro-Nazi Fascists] almost ignored those laws helping a lot of Jews to go elsewhere.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
Srebrenica massacre of July 1995.

Concentration camps like Omarska and others.

Cleansing of non-Serb population during the war.

Siege of Sarajevo.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
- Participation in the holocaust and the race laws before it
- Expulsion of most of the German minority post ww2
- Participation in the attack against the SU and occupation/anti-partisan duties there