Your country's most shameful moments

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Yes, but what about in the colonies? Obviously South Africa had such laws, but what about other colonies? For instance, were Europeans who lived in India allowed to marry native Indians? Were Europeans who lived in East Africa allowed to marry blacks and/or Indians? Were Malays allowed to marry Chinese, Indians, and/or Europeans? Et cetera.
Thing is the States were "countries" which ruled themselves, whereas most colonies were only independent after WWII. South-Africa is I think the only country which is somewhat similar, though there the different races were already separated.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Thing is the States were "countries" which ruled themselves, whereas most colonies were only independent after WWII. South-Africa is I think the only country which is somewhat similar, though there the different races were already separated.
Are you suggesting that colonies didn't actually have the authority to create their own marriage laws without the permission and consent of the metropole? If so, were there any actual European attempts to prohibit any of their colonies from passing anti-miscegenation laws?

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Are you suggesting that colonies didn't actually have the authority to create their own marriage laws without the permission and consent of the metropole? If so, were there any actual European attempts to prohibit any of their colonies from passing anti-miscegenation laws?
Usually they could, but it could always be overruled (at least in the Dutch colonies). Meaning that creating such laws wasn't worth the effort for the odd 3 guys that wanted to marry a local.

Plus often it would be a benefit if they did, so why bother at all. It is not like anyone would marry the house cleaner, it would be some local noble woman. So when Indonesia became independent a lot of "Indos" (our nickname) returned or moved here, but they ranged from full-blooded Dutch to full-blooded Indonesian and everything in between. Ie Geert Wilders is one and for the football afficionados Van Bronckhorst and Van Persie.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Usually they could, but it could always be overruled (at least in the Dutch colonies). Meaning that creating such laws wasn't worth the effort for the odd 3 guys that wanted to marry a local.

Plus often it would be a benefit if they did, so why bother at all. It is not like anyone would marry the house cleaner, it would be some local noble woman. So when Indonesia became independent a lot of "Indos" (our nickname) returned or moved here, but they ranged from full-blooded Dutch to full-blooded Indonesian and everything in between. Ie Geert Wilders is one and for the football afficionados Van Bronckhorst and Van Persie.
Interesting; thanks for this information! Anyway, though, it's still interesting that--as per my maps above--some US states (especially the Western US) had few minorities in 1940 and yet nevertheless had anti-miscegenation laws.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Interesting; thanks for this information! Anyway, though, it's still interesting that--as per my maps above--some US states (especially the Western US) had few minorities in 1940 and yet nevertheless had anti-miscegenation laws.
Probably because they were settled by slave states

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Slavery didn't exist in the Western US, though. Even in the antebellum era, Western US states and territories other than Texas and Oklahoma were free states.
I know, but those states had the laws and if their people migrated, they would take their laws with them.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
I don't think that Western US states were primarily settled by Southerners, though.
I have no idea. The settlement history of the US has always seemed like a string of tall tales to me and therefore I never really bothered, much unlike later US history.