your favorite naval movies

Oct 2009
herefordshire u.k.
i've just watched The battle of the river plate with Antony Quale starring and i started thinking (i know it's bad for me ) about how many realy good ones have been made over the years , my personal favorite is The Cruel Sea staring the great Jack Hawkings, so what is your favorite all time naval movie? .

diddyriddick

Historum Emeritas
May 2009
A tiny hamlet in the Carolina Sandhills
The only two naval films worth mentioning that I can think of are Tora! Tora! Tora! and Das Boot.

Just my 2 cents.

okamido

Forum Staff
Jun 2009
land of Califia
In Harms Way starring John Wayne and Kirk Douglas, as well as a plethora of well known people. It is a film that seems like it runs 44 hours, yet I feel compelled to watch it at every showing on cable. I highly recommend it.

Belisarius

Forum Staff
Jun 2006
U.K.
In which we serve, Cruel Sea, Above us the Waves, in fact any "black and white" British war film of the 40's and 50's. I suppose nowdays they're called "monochrome".

Toltec

Ad Honorem
Apr 2008
Hyperborea
Not a lot of great sea movies out there.

Dead Calm is one of the best movies at sea I've seen and Jason ans the Argonauts the other.

Jul 2009
The Cruel Sea is one of the greatest, certainly. Tora, Tora, Tora is an outstanding film, and I cast a vote for The Gallant Hours (James Cagney as Adm. Wm Halsey). There are really almost no battle scenes to speak of, but it is a good insight into how command decisions were made. I have not seen it in awhile, but it always held my interest.

EDIT: For belisarius, Gallant Hours was "monochrome."

(Just a plug for Cagney: This film was near the end of his career, and is another example of how versatile this very charismatic actor was.)

Similar History Discussions