your favorite naval movies

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
Master and Commander... one of the best ever... almost equal to the series of novels its based on.

The Sand Pebbles

Mr. Roberts

The Caine Mutiny

The Enemy Below

Das Boot

Above Us the Waves

Crimson Tide

K-19: The Widowmaker

The Gallant Hours

And, of course, The Navy vs The Night Monsters

Oct 2009
Australia
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World was certainly a marvellous movie to watch.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned these yet...I dunno if you'd really call them MOVIES or segments of a minseries, but...

The "Hornblower" series starring Ioan Gruffud and Robert Lindsay are just five star productions. I've seen all of the movies and I think they're marvellous. For those who don't know what Hornblower is, they take place during the Napoleonic wars, starting in the 1790s and ending in the early 1800s.

sculptingman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2009
San Diego
I forgot to mention the Hopkins/gibson version of Mutiny on the Bounty... which get high marks for a more sympathetic and understated view of Bligh and for more properly focusing on the dissapating effect of Tahiti on Christian and the crew.
(and for not covering up the women )
Not to mention just plain SEA and SHIP themed films...

The Richard Basehar/ Gregory Peck version of Moby Dick... Billy Bud from the same era, Captians Courageous,

Oct 2009
Behind a screen
The "Hornblower" series starring Ioan Gruffud and Robert Lindsay are just five star productions. I've seen all of the movies and I think they're marvellous. For those who don't know what Hornblower is, they take place during the Napoleonic wars, starting in the 1790s and ending in the early 1800s.
I totally agree. Wish they would continue, but I heard it's going to be too expensive (since Hornblower is climbing the ranks and at some point will command several ships in the story).

Cicero

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Tennessee
"Tora" is great even with the models.
Midway is good.
Das Boot is Fantastic
The Bedford Incident is well done and creepy.

I am fascinated with the Titanic story and would have to add the old A Night to Remember (1958 film) and even the James Cameron's Titanic (1997) which people love to hate.

gaius valerius

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Belgium
It is not a movie, but how come nobody mentioned Hornblower yet? :D

As for Master & Commander, it's very good, but the Family Guy version was better.

Nov 2009
Texas
The Final Countdown. Tomcats v. Zeros, epic, except they chickened out on the ending. Thankfully there are books and shows out there that haven't taken the concept to the brink only to back down in the end.

In Harm's Way and Tora Tora Tora are terrific as well.

Bismarck

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
rangiora
I totally agree. Wish they would continue, but I heard it's going to be too expensive (since Hornblower is climbing the ranks and at some point will command several ships in the story).
Pah! Hornblower is lightweight pap! Whilst I agree its production values are of a reasonable standard, the storylines lack substance. These movies - like the Sharpe series - simply recount the preposterous adventures of a fault-less and too-good-to-be-true lead character, set against the background of life in the navy (or army in Sharpe's case). Both series are entertainment of a reasonable standard, but they can hardly be taken seriously as examples of military life. They are not in the same league as something like Tora Tora Tora .

Apr 2018
USA
A few, some mentioned, some not: Midway, Tora Tora Tora, The Sea Hawk, Captain Blood, Long John Silver, The Enemy Below, The Bedford Incident, Ice Station Zebra, Sink the Bismarck, Crimson Tide (Also Rutger Hauers version-I forget the title?) Mister Roberts, The Caine Mutiny, K-14 The Widowmaker, Hunt For Red October, Mutiny on the Bounty-the Chas Laughton and Clark Gable version only, The Final Countdown and last but definitely not least: They Were Expendable w/ Duke, Robert Montgomery, Marshall Thompson and Ward Bond.