your favorite naval movies

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
No it certainly does not count.

Is this some sort of joke?
Perhaps the real joke here is you getting up in arms over a comment someone made nearly a decade ago.

My favourite naval movie is "The Admiral." It's about Michiel de Ruyter, Johan and Cornelis de Witt, and the Anglo-Dutch War(s). It's an unfair treatment of Charles II, I find, and they make that hook-nosed, knock-kneed dwarf William a bit too attractive, but all in all, it's a wonderful movie. The action scenes are great!

Reactions: Comnena
Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Perhaps the real joke here is you getting up in arms over a comment someone made nearly a decade ago.

My favourite naval movie is "The Admiral." It's about Michiel de Ruyter, Johan and Cornelis de Witt, and the Anglo-Dutch War(s). It's an unfair treatment of Charles II, I find, and they make that hook-nosed, knock-kneed dwarf William a bit too attractive, but all in all, it's a wonderful movie. The action scenes are great!
Whether a decade ago or a minute ago, stupid is stupid.

Never heard of the Admiral. Though based upon your description it does sound like a film I would like to rent from Blockbuster on a weekend.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
Enjoyable. But grossly inaccurate depiction of Soviet Navy personnel and their conduct.
Eh, not so sure. I seem to recall over a decade ago when a Russian sub got trapped under the Arctic ice the Kremlin refused any foreign assistance in rescuing the crew. They perished under the ice.

Jan 2019
Montreal, QC
Whether a decade ago or a minute ago, stupid is stupid.

Never heard of the Admiral. Though based upon your description it does sound like a film I would like to rent from Blockbuster on a weekend.
If you have Netflix, it's on there. Definitely worth a watch.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I enjoyed Das Boot a lot but I think my favourite is Master and Commander. It certainly isn't Seaworld.

Reactions: Kevinmeath
Apr 2018
India
Eh, not so sure. I seem to recall over a decade ago when a Russian sub got trapped under the Arctic ice the Kremlin refused any foreign assistance in rescuing the crew. They perished under the ice.
Umm....no. If you're talking about Kursk then it wasn't like that at all. Also the Soviet Navy of the 60s wasn't the cash starved, rust eaten, half grounded sorry excuse of a Navy that the Russian Navy was in the 90s and early 2000s.

The movie was full of mistakes and made up events. There was no mutiny on board, neither did anybody made any attempt to make contacts with any US Navy destroyer. The repair crew did an excellent job at the cost of their lives and contrary to what was shown in the film, 26 of them were not only decorated in 61 itself, in 2006 Gorbachev proposed to the Nobel Committee to nominate the entire crew of K-19 for Nobel Piece Prize.

The drunkard reactor officer, bully seamen forcing others not to report faulty instrument etc crap are classic instances of stereotyping and poor imagination.

Overall, as a movie it wasn't that bad, I'll overlook the Halifax class frigate in a cold war era Soviet naval base.

Reactions: Swamp Booger
Apr 2018
India
Here are the ones I like, with some notes -

Subs
1. Das Boot - 'nuff said
2. The enemy below - One could play football inside the U-Boat but it was a very good story driven movie
3. Crimson Tide - Loved everything, especially Hans Zimmer's music
4. Hostile Waters - Low budget TV film on K-219, but it was good
5. Below - Once again too big interior, too many factual and technical mistakes, but it was an enjoyable ghost story
6. U-571 - Purely because it was my first sub flick, nothing else
7. The Ghazi Attack - Har har har har har (I honed my mistake picking skill on this one)
8. Hunt for Red October - 1. Sean Connery's Russian - "Vwee Phaa RRuusskhee??"
2. Sam Neill's dying wish - "I would like to see Montana."

Instead he got to see Isla Nublar and Isla Sorna.

Surface ships
1. Otoko Tachi no Yamato - Good depiction of Yamato's last stand
2. Tora tora tora - 'nuff said
3. Eien no Zero - One of the best I've ever seen. But it's hardly naval.
3. The Bridges of Toko-Ri - Old but gold
4. USS Indianapolis - at least they made a film on this

Age of sail
1. Master and commander
2. Pirates Trilogy
3. Black Flags

Anime
1. Zipang
2. Arpeggio of Blue Steel
3. Silent Service - Only because I hated it so much that I liked it

Pretty frankly speaking, what I understand is that naval flicks often suffer from bad execution due to lack of plot options and inability of filmmakers to turn this disadvantage into advantage. Hence instead of watching films, I have decided to read.