8. Akbar the Great

9. Raja Ram Mohun Roy

10. Rabindranath Tagore

11. Swami Vivekananda

12. Jagdish Chandra Bose

13. Bhimrao R. Ambedkar

14. Sardar Vallabhai Patel

15. General Sam Maneckshaw

Some notable and deliberate exclusions: Ashoka, the Great and Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I have tried to be eclectic in terms of human endeavors and geography while not compromising on perceived "greatness". Do you agree with my list ? What does your list look like ?

Last edited:
Jan 2016
India
Considering Akbar as an Indian is laughable. I fail to see how Rajendra Chola was greater than even Harsha or Bhoja, let alone Akbar. Also I do not understand how Swami Vivekananda deserves a place on this list. We have produced many greater philosophers than this man. I think that this list is of those Indian figures who have won noble prize or are most popular amongst English speaking secularist circles. Anyway, in my opinion, number 1 should be either Samudragupta or the Buddha, and 20th century historians like R.C. Mazumdar also should be given a place in this list. I'm sorry if I am being excessively critical.

SSDD

Ad Honorem
Aug 2014
India
What is wrong with Swami Vivekananda? Bhimrao R. Ambedkar is on list but not Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose?

Sep 2015
Sri Lanka
Freudian slip !

Tell me the People or Books whom you consider the greatest and really admire , I can tell you , Who you truly are, Not what you "think" who you're! :)
As a Non-Indian and never visited India my Perspective of seeing Indian historical events and people would be totally different from the the Global Matrix ! If the Criteria to use are human endeavour and Geography --My List would certainly contain

1-Abdul Kalam [[True Indian never Studied Aboard] from a poor back ground from Rameshwaram--TN--Who Made" Buddha to Smile" about his teachings of Dharma And Ahimsa !!

2-Buddha[Bihar/Nepal]

3-Subhash Chandra Bose [Bengali]

4- Jiddu Krishnamurty [ Telungu Brahmin] ---Well-Known in the West as the "Man of the 20th Centaury"

Last but not least the Great Historians Like Cifanatic,,Bhrigu and Sonofstar Etc
Etc :) :) Lol

Aug 2014
Canada
What is wrong with Swami Vivekananda? Bhimrao R. Ambedkar is on list but not Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose?
I respect Bose a lot, especially the way in which he was able to rouse expatriates of Indian descent in Singapore. Raising an army of 50,000 is no mean task. Particularly inspiring was Netaji's success in creating a multi-religious, multi-ethnic army of freedom-loving Indians that included women in high positions. Having said all that, SC Bose's real impact on history was unfortunately marginal. The Azad Hind Fauj was on the wrong side of history in WW-II. The partition of India and the ethnic cleansing that followed drove a stake through Netaji's pluralistic vision, at least in the short term. After Netaji disappeared (ostensibly killed in a plane crash), his faction essentially fizzled out in Indian politics and could never resurrect itself.

On the other hand, Babasaheb had huge impact of both a short-term and long-term nature. The constitution of India, which Ambedkar played a central role in drafting, still survives 60+ years onward. He was, and is, inspirational to tens of millions of Dalits, gave them dignity and served to awaken their political consciousness.

Last edited:

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
If Swami Vivekananda does not deserve to be on the list, nobody else does. He is a pole star in Indian philosophy. We are not talking of people who can write reams of papers on philosophy, but are talking of someone who is realized the self. There is one world of a difference between the two.

I would easily pick Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Sri Ramana Maharshi in this list. If they don't have place, nobody else does.

Aatreya

Ad Honorem
Dec 2014
USA
If Swami Vivekananda does not deserve to be on the list, nobody else does. He is a pole star in Indian philosophy. We are not talking of people who can write reams of papers on philosophy, but are talking of someone who is realized the self. There is one world of a difference between the two.

I would easily pick Sri Ramakrishna Paramahamsa and Sri Ramana Maharshi in this list. If they don't have place, nobody else does.
And how could we forget Yajnavalkya?

Aug 2014
Canada

I agree about the spiritual importance of Swami Vivekananda, but there was also a political reason for including him on the list over other realized seers (of which there have been legions in India).

Swami Vivekananda espoused and awakened a modern pan-Indian nationalism much earlier than others, in fact before even the founding of the Indian National Congress.

Similar History Discussions