YouTube and African History

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
Oh, you weren't trolling me in the American history section? You did't tell me to tell my friends not to shoot White cops? Yeah you're trolling me.
I mean it is just good advice not to go the route of BLM and start killing cops. it makes for a better political discourse after all :D have i not addressed you in the other thread (where this should be taking place mind you)

Mar 2014
Carthage
I mean it is just good advice not to go the route of BLM and start killing cops. it makes for a better political discourse after all :D have i not addressed you in the other thread (where this should be taking place mind you)

What did BLM have to do with the thread? And you quoted me directly so what do you mean you didn't address me? Bye

Aug 2018
United States
A lot of crazy views about Africa are expressed on YouTube. I think I know the least about Africa than I do any other continent. So, I am curious if anyone here can recommend a good channel for learning about African History on YouTube.
I think From Nothing is probably the best African History YouTube channel out there. He's consistent and very unbiased with his content. He posts all of his sources on his patreon account for free and they are all good sources. He's responsive in his comments and his discord. He also just launched a community website with a forum and said he's going to have an interactive map on it for African kingdoms! Hometeam History is a good channel too but aside from the occasional YouTube video, he doesn't really do much unless you're a patron.

One of his videos:
His website: https://www.fromnothing.info/

Last edited:
May 2016
US
Hometeam has more detailed video and information than From Nothing, especially on his patreon, but even on quite a few of his free youtube videos. If you're completely new to African history and want to check out some videos to figure out what part of Africa or what society in African you want to do more research into both are good, but Hometeam might have the edge just based on volume as well as he's been around longer.

I'd recommend not watching Hometeam's videos about North Africa (other than Nubia if you consider that North Africa) much of his NA videos have a hint of Afrocentrism.

Those are probably the only two channels I'd trust to some extent, the rest are normally just awful.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
Hometeam has more detailed video and information than From Nothing, especially on his patreon, but even on quite a few of his free youtube videos. If you're completely new to African history and want to check out some videos to figure out what part of Africa or what society in African you want to do more research into both are good, but Hometeam might have the edge just based on volume as well as he's been around longer.

I'd recommend not watching Hometeam's videos about North Africa (other than Nubia if you consider that North Africa) much of his NA videos have a hint of Afrocentrism.

Those are probably the only two channels I'd trust to some extent, the rest are normally just awful.
I found both very informative. Although no substitute for a good book, I found they gave me a much better sense of geography, and exactly where and when the events in Africa occurred than I got from just reading. When we talk about an Empire being located in West Africa, it is helpful to show exactly where in West Africa. I think videos like this can be a valuable addition to the reading from books and other written sources.

Of course, videos often simplify things. In Hometeen video, it dated the Nigerian Nsibidi script to 2000 BCE, but other scholarly opinion date it to more recent, the sources I read dated it only to 400, not quite so old. Obviously there is a scholarly difference of opinion, and dating inscriptions on stone and other objects can be difficult fo accurately date, which is the cause of fhd difference. But I would not have even known about the Nsibidi script but for the video, or that it is still being used to this day.

Similar History Discussions