YUgoslavian Rock

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
I'm starting a thread where I will be posting the rock music from one of the strongest rock scenes of planet Earth until 1991: Yugoslavia. Americans and Brits were stronger, others are debatable.

I'm starting with kings, Serbian band Azra.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Ok, let's go with the most important band for many people: Bijelo Dugme (White Button) from Bosnia and Herzegovina (Sarajevo). But in my opinion really important is first third of their 15 years existence. so called shepherd rock phase (folk rock) with their first singer. After that they were producing mostly pop with few brilliant folk rock or gypsy songs.

A brilliant ballad about an unanswered love.

A great hard rock blues

One of most known songs in whole Yugoslavia, a gypsy song from Kusturica's film and from their later pop phase Here is after 1991 reissue.

Well, all songs here are about an unhappy love.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
Great idea for a thread.

I like the more ethno or gypsy songs of Bijelo Dugme. They're probably my favourite YugoRock band. I like Goran Bregović's style and some of the work he did later on his own as well.

@macon probably knows that Slovene music has or at least used to have a problem with copying foreign music, often impropperly. Take the melody of a foreign hit, give it some new lyrics in our language and forget to give credit to the original artists. In a way this was happening already during ww2, when veterans of the Spanish Civil War brought back songs of the communists. The Partisan song Na oknu glej obrazek bled has its origin in Spain, or at least the melody does. It's not surprising that in communism music sort of belongs to everyone or whatever they were thinking back then. One of the better known hits of Bijelo Dugme is thus a copy as well, however I don't know if they gave credit to the original authors.

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
Folk rock and folk hard rock was started in 1972 by Serbian band YU Grupa (YU Group). They still work and are the longest active Yugoslavian and Serbian rock band.

Mali medved (Little Bear), 1972

Black Butterfly from 1973

Ćudna Šuma or Strange Forest, also from 1973

Newer live

Great cover by another Yugoslavian legends: Serbian band Disciplina Kičme (Spinal Discipline), 1986

macon

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Slovenia, EU
And few more Azra (1977-1988) songs.

There are lots of tributes on Youtube but many important original recordings are missing.

Last edited:

Offspring

Ad Honorem
Mar 2013
România
Bijelo Dugme is awesome.

I like this one a lot from Bregovic:

The movie is really fun.

My favourite Rock and Roll Music cover is from The Beatles (Lennon's voice fits the song so well):

As for stealing music without given it recognition, that happened in plenty of places. Led Zeppelin were famous for stealing stuff, while The Rolling Stones were famous for always giving recognition to the artists that inspired them. It's possible Bijelo Dugme presented it as a cover.

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
As for stealing music without given it recognition, that happened in plenty of places. Led Zeppelin were famous for stealing stuff, while The Rolling Stones were famous for always giving recognition to the artists that inspired them. It's possible Bijelo Dugme presented it as a cover.
Well, I wasn't around back then, no idea really what they were saying about it, but nowadays in my generation everyone knows the Bijelo Dugme song while I dare to say barely anyone knows Berry's original piece. I read that Bregović was kind of prone to plagiating the work of others. Still great music though.

Similar History Discussions