Yuri Andropov lives longer

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
What if Yuri Andropov would have lived longer--as in, another decade or two? What policies would he have pursued and how would the USSR have been transformed under his watch?

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Andropov was 68 when he became the Soviet leader, so he wouldn't likely have been in power that long. He was the only Soviet leader to have headed the KGB. Nevertheless he was considered a breath of fresh air after the aging Brezhnev. He was not one for big changes so however long he served, it could have the delayed the accession of Gorbachev who was much younger than Andropov or Chernenko. The latter would not likely have served at all if Andropov had lived longer. Andropov was not as idealistic as Gorbachev but would have had a business like rather than personal relationship with Reagan. This might have delayed the collapse of the USSR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
What if Yuri Andropov would have lived longer--as in, another decade or two? What policies would he have pursued and how would the USSR have been transformed under his watch?
Stop using "would" in the past tense. Just stop using it completely,. You haven't learned how to use it properly despite my telling you how.

What if Yuri Andropov HAD lived longer.
What if Hitler HAD died.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Stop using "would" in the past tense. Just stop using it completely,. You haven't learned how to use it properly despite my telling you how.

What if Yuri Andropov HAD lived longer.
What if Hitler HAD died.
Thanks; I'll try my best to remember this from now on. Unfortunately, sometimes one can forget these things--especially if one isn't actually a native English speaker. :(

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Andropov was 68 when he became the Soviet leader, so he wouldn't likely have been in power that long. He was the only Soviet leader to have headed the KGB. Nevertheless he was considered a breath of fresh air after the aging Brezhnev. He was not one for big changes so however long he served, it could have the delayed the accession of Gorbachev who was much younger than Andropov or Chernenko. The latter would not likely have served at all if Andropov had lived longer. Andropov was not as idealistic as Gorbachev but would have had a business like rather than personal relationship with Reagan. This might have delayed the collapse of the USSR.
How much is the USSR's collapse going to be delayed by?

Jan 2013
Toronto, Canada
How much is the USSR's collapse going to be delayed by?
Even if he lives, I can't see Andropov sustaining the workload needed to maintain the Soviet system for more than a decade and that's assuming that he didn't succumb to senility like Brezhnev. The USSR might have laster an extra five years, but the collapse would have been even more total because the man in charge at the end would have been an 80-something Andropov instead of a 50-something Gorbachev.

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
Thanks; I'll try my best to remember this from now on. Unfortunately, sometimes one can forget these things--especially if one isn't actually a native English speaker. :(
I have to agree with naomasa298 that I find that word usagee highly distracting and annoying so it it will be a relief to me if you and others on other sites do manage to avoid it in the future. And I do realize some of the difficulties in trying to remember all the complex and often arbitrary and inconsistent rules of a foreign language, and I am grateful for all the effort it must have taken you to learn to write English as well and as clearly as you do.