Zoroastrianism Under Islam

Aug 2016
USA
We're going over the rise of Islam in my world history class. My professor claims Jews and Christians were allowed to worship while living in Muslim controlled countries. I'm curious whether Zoroastrians were given the same rights.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
We're going over the rise of Islam in my world history class. My professor claims Jews and Christians were allowed to worship while living in Muslim controlled countries. I'm curious whether Zoroastrians were given the same rights.
An interesting question is ;

Was Zoroaster considered a prophet by Islam ? They became accepted, in this way, as although he was not specifically mentioned in Koran, there is a mention of many more previous prophets, not named. So there was some type of religious 'excuse' . ( I mean, if a 'Sabean' can get in, a Zoroastrian should be able to ! )

But what was the alternative ? They were not all going to just convert ( and there were a HEAP of them at the time ! ) There was too many to insist they convert and behead if they didnt . But if accepted as 'people of the book' ...... and considering the vast population ...

imagine the value of the jizya tax on all those Dhimmi !

So at first, they were allowed to worship fairly freely, but then, in context it was a relatively 'free' period' (for Islamic control ). At later stages, other more fanatical and hard line rulers took over and suppressed the Zoroastrians and did things to deliberately annoy and enrage them.

History of Zoroastrians & Zoroastrianism in Post Arab Iran. Conditions & Treatment of Zoroastrians 650 CE-1400s

Similar History Discussions