Zoroastrianism Under Islam

Aug 2016
USA
We're going over the rise of Islam in my world history class. My professor claims Jews and Christians were allowed to worship while living in Muslim controlled countries. I'm curious whether Zoroastrians were given the same rights.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
We're going over the rise of Islam in my world history class. My professor claims Jews and Christians were allowed to worship while living in Muslim controlled countries. I'm curious whether Zoroastrians were given the same rights.
An interesting question is ;

Was Zoroaster considered a prophet by Islam ? They became accepted, in this way, as although he was not specifically mentioned in Koran, there is a mention of many more previous prophets, not named. So there was some type of religious 'excuse' . ( I mean, if a 'Sabean' can get in, a Zoroastrian should be able to ! )

But what was the alternative ? They were not all going to just convert ( and there were a HEAP of them at the time ! ) There was too many to insist they convert and behead if they didnt . But if accepted as 'people of the book' ...... and considering the vast population ...

imagine the value of the jizya tax on all those Dhimmi !

So at first, they were allowed to worship fairly freely, but then, in context it was a relatively 'free' period' (for Islamic control ). At later stages, other more fanatical and hard line rulers took over and suppressed the Zoroastrians and did things to deliberately annoy and enrage them.

History of Zoroastrians & Zoroastrianism in Post Arab Iran. Conditions & Treatment of Zoroastrians 650 CE-1400s

Nov 2010
Cornwall
That's a very sweeping statement. But I don't know of which in what context he is telling you that. Probably those early days. Other interpretations were of course invented later.

Oct 2018
Saurashtra
as far as i know a bit Zoroastrian Community Migrated to my state Gujarat from East and Southern Iran with their sacred fire after Muslim Conquest of Greater Iran.

these people are called Parsis here, according to these people major Zoroastrian temples were Destroyed by Muslims in the Central and North west of Iran so they took refuge in Our lands to protect last holy Fire and religion alive.

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
There were a few differences in theircsituations between the Zoroastrians and the Christians and Jews. After the Arab conquest, there were no powerful Zoroastrisn states that the Muslims had to worry about. But significant Christian countries remained that the Muslims could provoke and which could cause trouble for Muslims if the Muslim treatment of Christians became too bad. There were no worries about a Zoroastrisn Crusade to deal with.

Aug 2016
USA
There were a few differences in theircsituations between the Zoroastrians and the Christians and Jews. After the Arab conquest, there were no powerful Zoroastrisn states that the Muslims had to worry about. But significant Christian countries remained that the Muslims could provoke and which could cause trouble for Muslims if the Muslim treatment of Christians became too bad. There were no worries about a Zoroastrisn Crusade to deal with.
The same goes for Jews doesn't It?

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
The same goes for Jews doesn't It?
True, but Jews might have been a useful counterbalance to the still existing Christian populations. More, the Jews had a very long history of living under foreign rule, and Jews had a wide range of contacts. If the Jews were persecuted too greatly in one area, they could leave to join Jewish communities in another other area, the then return when conditions were better. Had a the Muslims persecuted the Jews too hard, the Muslims would have jeopardized their Jewish trading contacts, to the detriment of the Muslim trading interest. Jews had managed to exist for hundreds of years while completely under the rule of others, without being wiped out.

Also, unlike Christians or Zoroastrians, the Jews were not a majority in any area at the time of of the Arab conquest, nor were they any threat to ever become a majority, so they posted less risk to the Muslims.

kandal

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
USA
Zoroastrians were also given the tolerated religious status of 'dhimmis', but they were discriminated against lots more by the Muslims. As a result Zoroastrianism didn't fare that well compared to Judaism and Christianity. To read more:
Persecution of Zoroastrians - Wikipedia

Oct 2018
Adelaide south Australia
Zoroastrians have been tolerated by Islam at times.(see below)*

There have been times when Islamic rulers have been very tolerant of pretty much all other faiths, with the exception of Baha'i, who are to this day considered Islamic heretics, and that is not tolerated. Baha'i have been treated with special harshness in Iran, and still are as far as I know.

Historically Islam has often treated other faiths with tolerance. At times other faiths have been permitted through the payment of taxes. Plus, for the Jews ,the wearing of specific come shaped yellow or white hats and living in specific areas of a city. Same restrictions (and a lot more) in parts of medieval Europe.

The Torah shows that Judaism and Islam have the same father, Abraham. The father of Islam was Ishmael, son of Abraham and his 'hand maid' (slave) Hagar the Egyptian. Isaac was father of the Jews; son of Abraham and his wife Sarah. That makes the mutual historic enmity between Jews and Muslims seem especially ironic to me.

The Quran admonishes Muslims to be tolerant of Jews and Christians [and Sabians] because they are "children of the book"'. Historically, this instruction has often been ignored. Relations between Muslims and Jews seem to be at an historic low point at present

*"People of the Book/Scripture(Arabic: أهل الكتاب‎ ′Ahl al-Kitāb) is an Islamic term referring to Jews, Christians, and Sabiansand sometimes applied to members of other religions such as Zoroastrians.[1]It is also used in Judaismto refer to the Jewish peopleand by members of some Christian denominations to refer to themselves."

People of the Book - Wikipedia

I had no idea of who the Sabians might be, so I looked them up:

The Sabians(/ˈseɪbiənz/; Arabic: الصابئة‎ al-Ṣābiʼahor الصابئون‎ al-Ṣābiʼūn) of Middle Eastern tradition were a religious group mentioned three times in the Quranas a People of the Book, along with the Jewsand the Christians.[1]In the hadith, they were described simply as converts to Islam.[2]Interest in the identity and history of the group increased over time. Discussions and investigations of the Sabians began to appear in later Islamic literature. The Sabians were identified by early writers with the ancient Jewish Christian group the Elcesaites, and with gnosticgroups such as the Hermeticistsand the Mandaeans. Today, the Mandaeansare still widely identified as Sabians.[3]

Sabians - Wikipedia

Last edited:

Similar History Discussions